Fudz

Find a feed store!!!
Online ordering doesn't let you look at mill dates, and with chicken feeds, it matters.
Unlike having 'sell by' dates on each bag, chicken feed has a 'mill date', and I don't buy anything that's older than four or five weeks from milling, and use it up within another four weeks, max.
How many chicks? standard sized or bantams? Meat birds?
For many breed types, you can estimate three pounds of feed per pound of body weight gain per bird. Some will be more, some less, and growth rates vary too.
So, for three chicks, don't buy the 50 pound bag, and for ten+ chicks, don't buy the little bag, especially if it's and older bag. My local feed store has feeds that are six months old, and claims that it's all fine. I don't buy that stuff.
Feeds made of whole grains tend to be eaten selectively, so some birds will eat the yummy stuff and leave the rest, unbalancing their diet. I avoid whole grain diets for that reason.
There's no legal standard for 'natural' in animal feeds, at least. It's a marketing term having no meaning. And chickens are omnivores, not herbivores, so the reasons there are no animal products in their feeds are marketing, cost, and avoiding issues with BSE.
Buy fresh, store it in metal containers in the original bag, and have fun with your chicks!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom