1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fugates of Kentucky....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bantiebabe1200, Feb 22, 2012.

1. bantiebabe1200

bantiebabe1200 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Ennis, Montana
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Everything comes in blue in Kentucky... Moon, grass an people...

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

4. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I heard about this in the early 80's, when I was taking genetics in college. I'm not sure how clear it is from the article, but the problem is that these people have a shortage of an enzyme that causes the hemoglobin in their red blood cells to release carbon dioxide, and take up oxygen. The gentleman who researched this condition actually came up with a treatment. I think what he was using at that time was Methylene Blue, which is actually a dye, to encourage the hemoglobin to give up the CO2, and take up O2. At any rate, the nurse who was assisting him said that you could see the skin getting noticeably less blue within minutes of the injections. The effects of the injections was only temporary, because the blue dye gets filtered out by the kidneys. So the skin turns pink, but the urine turns blue.

I just followed a link in the article; apparently, Methylene Blue is still one of the treatments used!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  5. bantiebabe1200

Nov 5, 2010
    Ennis, Montana
    This seems to be a good look at what the people would look like, but I would say thats obvious od on colloidal silver. I didn't know it could do that. Poor guy.

I'm amazed that the body can surive like that and I'm glad there's a treatment for it so that a person could go out in public for a short period at least with out being stared at. This makes it make more sense. Thank your for sharing your learnings Bunnylady.

One thing I'm still not clear on, is how a gean like this could even start in the first place? [​IMG]

6. Yetti

Yetti Chillin' With My Peeps

I read about the "Blue Fugate's" way back in `82. Smithsonian Magazine did a whole story on them

7. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Random changes (called mutations) occur all the time. Some affect very important things that the body does, and aren't survivable. Some make small changes (for example, in the shape of your earlobe) and make very little difference in how you live your life. A person who carried one copy of this particular gene (and one copy of the normal gene) most likely wouldn't be any different than any of their friends, neighbors, or "normal" relations. It is only when two people that have one copy each have children, and a child gets the changed gene from both parents, that the blueness appears.

8. bantiebabe1200

Nov 5, 2010
    Ennis, Montana
    Ok, I see how that works. Thanks for the info Bunnylady. [​IMG] I still think it's sad, but atleast now I can understand the workings of it.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Back around '67 or so I was doing horticultural work at the Duke Garden Foundations. Part of my job involved conducting tours through the display gardens. On one of these tours there was a 'blue' lady. In apparent good health and a very attractive woman, but she was indigo blue. Perhaps she was of Fugates heritage.

10. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    Inbreeding at its finest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by