1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fugly, my morphidite chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by queenbeezz, Nov 9, 2010.

1. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    In March of this year I bought several Cochin pullets, the guy at the feed store said they were sure they were hens. They were about a week old, if that. As they grew one of them was slower than the others to get feathered. I thought she'd never feather out. She was as big as my RR hens and still not fully feathered. And she was UGLY. My son called her the Neanderthal. All legs, no feathers to speak of, just fuzz. I had so many comments about how usly she was that we findly named her Fugly, Fugs for short. By the time she was feathered out I realized that she was just an ugly duckling that has turned into a swan. She is quite pretty now. Quiet and sweet.

Until this morning. SHE CROWED!! As of last week her cone an wattles were maybe a bit larger than the others, still pink. Almost overnight they went red, got larger, she has turned into a he!! Meet Fugly, my Cochin ROO!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How did I miss that?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I don't know how you missed it, those saddle feathers are a dead give away. You have yourself a boy.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The red face, huge wattles/comb set, hackle feathers, and saddle feathers were a giveaway. This isn't a sudden mishap, it's just a boy. [​IMG]

4. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    Until last week the comb and wattles were pink and a lot smaller. It's like he had an overnight growth spirt, I've never seen him go after a hen either.

u

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by