Full crop, yellow poo, and lice?

Chick3nLover

Songster
Mar 15, 2022
Hey everyone so I have a 2 1/2 year-old chicken. Who over the past couple days has been showing a little less activity a little less appetite and yesterday I decided to feel her crop in the morning. It was still full so I started treatment for impacted crop and then she had the smelly beak so I started treatment for sour crop. I am now doing the treatment for sour crop however she has yellow poop that isn’t very solid. I read somewhere that yellow is an indicator of something wrong in the liver. Is that true and what else do I look for if something is wrong with her liver how can I help her? also as far as I know, her crop had not empted in two days.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    675 KB · Views: 16
When I dealt with sour crop before I was also getting yellow poop, the same with septic Egg Yolk Peritonitis, so I don't think yellow poo necessarily means liver problems. Would recommend getting a crop bra and seeing if that helps her pass her crop contents more quickly.

Hey everyone, she is really not looking good today. She’s just standing still with her eyes closed. She’s pooped a lot but all liquid yellow. Her crop is still very very full.

I don’t think shelll make it to tomorrow. Please please help me. I tried giving her egg she ate very little. She hasn’t drank water yet. And I’m out of ideas. I can try the vomit technique, but I’m not confident in it. We’ve called multiple vets near us, and the soonest they had was Tuesday at 3:45pm. Do I manually make her drink??

Hey everyone, she is really not looking good today. She’s just standing still with her eyes closed. She’s pooped a lot but all liquid yellow. Her crop is still very very full.

I don’t think shelll make it to tomorrow. Please please help me. I tried giving her egg she ate very little. She hasn’t drank water yet. And I’m out of ideas. I can try the vomit technique, but I’m not confident in it. We’ve called multiple vets near us, and the soonest they had was Tuesday at 3:45pm. Do I manually make her drink??

Do I sit with her and just love her? What do I do.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    613.3 KB · Views: 5
She looks to have a very large crop, perhaps pendulous crop. I don’t recommend making a chicken vomit, since they can aspirate and choke to death on crop contents. Crop bras, chilled coconut oil cut into slivers and fed, stool softeners, and crop massage may be some treatments. You should do some research on pendulous and sour crop which this article covers:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

She looks to have a very large crop, perhaps pendulous crop. I don’t recommend making a chicken vomit, since they can aspirate and choke to death on crop contents. Crop bras, chilled coconut oil cut into slivers and fed, stool softeners, and crop massage may be some treatments. You should do some research on pendulous and sour crop which this article covers:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I know, I’ve been trying to treat sour and pendulous crops. She wore a crop bra all night and nothing emptied

She’s not keeping anything down. There are no vets available near me. She is very very quiet eyes shut and she even barfed some of the gross crop yeast on me. Should I try the vomit technique? Is it easy, or will it kill her instantly?

No, I do not recommend vomiting her. It is dangerous. You might show some pictures of your crop bra position and her poop. I don’t use them, but some others may tell if it is in the right position. Is she drinking water today? Electrolytes in the water, or a daily dose of Poultry NutriDrench would be helpful. What has she eaten? Do you have her separated to control what she eats and drinks? Does the crop feel large and puffy soft? How long has this been going on? Are you familiar with tube feeding techniques? Crop disorders can be a result of reproductive disorders, internal laying, ascites (water belly) or other things that may cause pressure inside the abdomen. I have never had a hen live once they had a sour crop from one of those. This thread which is about 5 days old has a lot of good advice from @azygous on a serious pendulous crop:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ys-ago-was-doing-great-now-lethargic.1550457/

Back
Top Bottom