1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

full crop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lala2720, Apr 27, 2016.

1. lala2720

lala2720 New Egg

Apr 27, 2016
    I have a 4 week old chick. It seems that her crop isn't emptying overnight. Yesterday for 12 hours I only gave her water and Olive Oil. Then would massage her crop. It doesn't seem to have helped. then yesterday afternoon and all day today all I have fed is Yogurt, Hard boiled eggs, and rice along with olive oil. I don't see any change but my main question is should I still be giving her grit?

2. thebulg

thebulg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    I would say yes on the grit, and then i would say with holdfood at least overnight, preferably around 12 hours. Give her access to water and massage her crop at the start of the "fast" and several times throughout.

3. lala2720

lala2720 New Egg

Apr 27, 2016
    I did withhold the water and did massage her crop several times in the last 48 hrs. There doesn't seem to be any change. She is eating and acting fine. I am new at this and don't know if i am missing something. Someone had mentioned red wine

4. thebulg

thebulg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    I would aim for one long stretch without food but WITH water and massage. But if the chick is acting totally normal, is pooping normal and moving and eating and drinking, it might just be a little glutton who loves having a full crop!

5. lala2720

lala2720 New Egg

Apr 27, 2016
    Thank you for your input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by