Full crop

Ing88

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2020
Hi, I'm new to raising chicks. I have 4 in total. 2 are 3 and a half weeks old and 2 is 2 weeks old. Yesterday one one of the older ones had a really large crop. I took the food away over night and left just water. This morning it was back to normal. This evening all 4 looks swollen. Is this anything to worry about?

It's normal. After they eat their crops will fill up, but they empty out again overnight.
Thanks for the reply. I was just worried as it is only happening now. Should I leave the food with them at night or remove it?

Thanks for the reply. I was just worried as it is only happening now. Should I leave the food with them at night or remove it?
Do you still have them in a brooder under a heat lamp or have the area continuously lit at night, or is it dark where they are all night long?
If it’s dark they aren’t going to eat, but if it’s light enough for them to see they will move to the feeder and eat if/when they wake up at night.
Also, if their crop isn’t full before bedtime it’s non-typical as they’ll always fill up before going to roost for the night.

Do you still have them in a brooder under a heat lamp or have the area continuously lit at night, or is it dark where they are all night long?
If it’s dark they aren’t going to eat, but if it’s light enough for them to see they will move to the feeder and eat if/when they wake up at night.
Also, if their crop isn’t full before bedtime it’s non-typical as they’ll always fill up before going to roost for the night.
They are under an elertic hen and it bes dark at night. So it's pretty normal then? Thanks

Yeah when I lift one and felt it I was like what is this. That's a relief. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom