full crop!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tball, Jun 6, 2011.

1. tball

tball Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    hemphill,tx
    can you over feed 5-day olds?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You should always have food available 24/7 for babies. But sometimes they do become little pigs and stuff themselves. If it becomes a problem you can take away the food for an hour or so, giving the crops a chance to empty. I wouldn't worry about it though, many babies do this. [​IMG]

3. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:What do you mean?
    are you force feeding?
    and why you ask??
    What are they symptoms that makes you think full crop.
    Because naturally the crop may look full (stick out on the RIGHT side , just below the neck) and can appear big and hard.
    However, this should lesson and be gone in the morning when they first wake up. So check it then, and if it is not gone, repost [​IMG]

4. tball

May 17, 2011
    hemphill,tx
    well- lots of questions, lets see... i ordered 3- chicks to be mailed to me . They sent 10 aditional cockrels, i amm used to having 3-4 chicks at a time , this bunch is ferocious!!! cant keep there bowl full. I picked severale up today and the crop is fuller than i am use to! Just want to cover bases!! Thanks

5. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    Certain breeds have bigger more obvious crops than others. They can feel really full and its perfectly normal. As long as they seem healthy and they aren't crop bound, they should be fine.

6. tball

May 17, 2011
    hemphill,tx
    thanks everyone sounds like it will be OK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by