full, hard crop in one of my 6 day old chicks...just noticed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by go-veggie, Aug 2, 2008.

1. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

She's a white rock and cute as ever, but I noticed her crop is hard and full. None of the other babies have full crops and all of them are doing great. Is this something where she's going to just get weak and die one day soon or will everything pass? I think one of our other chickens had a hard feeling, big crop back when they were chicks, and they were all just fine. It would be so sad to lose this sweet little girl. I am praying she just passes whatever is in there. It could only be her food because she's just in her brooder with the regular food and water. I hope this turns out to be nothing. Any advice would be great. Has anyone had this happen to one of their new little chicks?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    It may be she just had filled up on the crumbles and hadn't gotten any water yet to wash it down.

What kind of bedding are you using? Sometimes they will peck at the bedding and eat it.

Check her again in the morning and see what the crop is like...

3. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

Thank you! I bet that is what it is. I just checked her again so I could give you a real up to date report on her, and it's still big, but it's squishy and not looking so bad anymore. I have them in the exact same set up that worked for the first group a few months ago. 1/2 of the floor is either paper towel or that absorbent cage liner paper towel like stuff, and the other 1/2 is a sheet of grit paper. Oh, I hope she's fine...I lost a buff orpington at a week old last time from pasty butt because I just didn't know much yet. I think I am paranoid this time around. [​IMG] Thanks again, arlee453!

4. cactus-hen

cactus-hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    I had two chicks from my first hatch that were just pigs. They ate until their crops were almost overflowing. They turned out all right. No health issues as adults. They still pig out on scraps when they are available.

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    If they are on towels and grit paper than it's not eating the bedding then (unless you notice big strips of paper toweling missing...)

Whew - that was the only potential worry I had - that you might have a pine chip eater. [​IMG]

6. fieldsems

fieldsems Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2008
    Paris Tn
    forgive me new to the site and just hatched my first guineas and silkies. What is a crop?

7. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

Quote:She seems better now, but I just went in there and she was running around (and being chased) with a strip of the cage liner toweling hanging out of her mouth! Oooh, she's full of the dickens...this whole batch is for some reason. Only the EE was a little bugger from my first group. All six of these babies are little crappers. They are hyper and LOUD! Oh boy, we are in for it I think! Thanks for the help!

8. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

Quote:WELCOME!
    Here's the definition from the BYC website:
    Crop. 1. A pouch at the base of a chicken's neck that bulges after the bird has eaten

My understanding is that because chickens don't have teeth and don't chew, the food and grit get ground up by the crop...which I think is actually a muscle. You'll have to do some research on it for the most accurate info, but I think I'm pretty close.
    You'll learn a lot here and you'll meet some wonderful people! [​IMG]

9. fieldsems

fieldsems Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2008
    Paris Tn
    Thanks for the info and for helping me be a better chicken mommy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by