Full incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Renee97038, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Renee97038

Renee97038 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    West Coaster
    This is my 2nd hatch in my Brinsea Octagon Advance 20. I ordered shipped eggs and they sent so many extras that they are pretty tightly packed in there. Is that bad for the eggs to be upright between the padded rails packed close to each other? I know they are good to be upright and no turning for 3 or 4 days, but I'm concerned that they all touch each other.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I fill the baskets full, it doesn't matter if the eggs are touching each other... but you don't want the eggs held or squashed "tight" with the rails, the eggs should have a little bit of movement.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi I have the same incubator and in my opinion how your eggs are set seems fine. My last posted eggs I set them very upright as the air cells were all over the place I had them very close together then hatched in egg cartons. I had a 100% hatch. I wouldn't worry.

4. Renee97038

Renee97038 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    West Coaster
    I have those foam pads between each rail so that gives each egg some expansion room. It was only the eggs being pretty snugly spaced in each row that I wondered about. It seems like they will be fine. The breeder I bought the eggs from even suggested I stack the eggs then take out the clear eggs at the first candling. I didn't think this was a great idea though. Thanks everyone for your response.

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Yes I always use the foam dividers I find they hold the eggs very well. I don't think I would stack eggs in my incubator either what would happen as it's turning I have the automatic turner and that seems to turn the incubator right onto its side I think they would fall if they were stacked?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by