Full of air under skin!

chicky62

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 10, 2009
Brought a new 8 week old pullet into flock, introduced it slowly and it's found the group that will accept it, regardless a little pecking order had gone on. It free ranges with all other birds and all seems ok except I noticed the pullet looking "chubby" so I picked her up to pet her when I noticed she had some feathers missing on her back and at the site there is a bubble of air. Then on further inspection her whole body has the air under the skin! She doesn't act "sick" has anyone seen this type of thing and or what can I do to remedy this situation? I might add that I am feeding a soy based chick starter, clean water daily, I clean the coop every morning and like I said they free range all day. Feed back would be greatly appreciated

I've seen it after an animal gets one and pulls the skin loose and makes it almost bubbly feeling and mushy, but never all over.

Possibly a ruptured air sac. It will heal on its own, but it's uncomfortable for the bird. Make a small hole in the skin to release the air and take away the pressure. She'll keep inflating till the sac heals.

Had that happen to one. Was the weirdest thing I have ever seen. I took a shot needle from a syringe and poked it in the skin and deflated it like a balloon. The bird was fine and never acted sick or anything it just blew up with air. Once I deflated it it never blew up again and recovered completely.

Back
Top Bottom