Full sized chicken laying very small eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Urban Rustic, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Urban Rustic

Urban Rustic Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2012
    So, one of our chicks started laying at 17 weeks on the nose. Every egg has been very small, complete but small. The double yolkers are still smaller than a regular egg. She is an EE, but what is up with the little eggs? They are all consistently the same size. At first, I thought it was a "first egg" kind of thing, but I have never seen chicken eggs so small! She has been laying about 1 week....will the eggs always be this small? Could she have bantam in her or something?

2. KPenley

KPenley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Anderson, SC
    17 weeks is early and pullet eggs are almost always the smallest. My girls took 2-3 months to get up to their regular large size, and I've heard that some birds lay their largest eggs past 1 year of age. Have you weighed the eggs? Just a thought since eggs are sized by weight and not circumference or length. As a comparison, my Legbars first eggs were 40-45 grams and my Silkies first eggs were about 30 grams.

3. countrycakelady

countrycakelady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    Eastern NC
    My 16 weekers started this week...the first egg was HUGE for a 16 weeker! I have a post about it...have gotten 2 since then, they are a little bigger than a golf ball.....pullet eggs, but good sizes, they are trying! :) Size will come in time.....it's great to watch them! They are so proud when they do their jobs. :)

4. Urban Rustic

Urban Rustic Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2012
    No, I haven't weighed it. I don't even have an egg scale. LOL They are seriously so small though. If I hadn't caught one coming out, I might not have believed they belonged to her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by