Full sized rooster living with bantam rooster can they live togather?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mskayladog, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Mskayladog

Mskayladog Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two bantam Roos and would like to get a full sized roo to help protect the girls. But I don't want my bantams Roos killed by the full sized roo.

2. cinch920

cinch920 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Central Nebraska
    Each rooster is different. So it's hard to tell just from a forum point of view. It depends on the roosters temperment. With that being said, we have a bantam rooster and he scares off our tom turkey. So depending on the rooster it can work out =]

3. lsutigers1809

lsutigers1809 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    louisian
    Alot has to do with the roo's personality. i did the same thing a few days ago and they fought for half the day until the other roo's submitted to the new bigger roo once the pecking order was straightened out all the fighting stop i would stop the fights however when they started getting to brutal. hope this helps

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have three roosters, two large fowl and one silkie roo. That silkie guy is the middle one in rank, he chases the non-dominant roo away from his hens. The entire flock belongs to the dominate rooster, an EE who has always been top roo, but he allows his subordinates to mate some hens. Not in front of him, but within sight. He does not let them mount his favorites.

They do not fight. They scuffled early on, establishing parameters of behavior.

5. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    We have a bantam OEG rooster that was the first one to hide when a predator was close by, and we lost our main, full size rooster to a predator a few months ago. Our bantam roo is so pretty and he's super nice with our kids, so I didn't want to get rid of him. We recently added a Jersey Giant roo that's about the same age. The little fellow really, really wanted to defend his girls - which includes full size & bantam girls, but he was more of a nuisance to the bigger rooster. The new, big guy fought back, but never really hurt him. After about an hour of scuffling (the little guy flying up in his face & grabbing his comb in his beak, then falling to the ground and dashing between the big guys legs), I had to separate the bantam to keep him from getting seriously hurt. The next morning I let the group free range and after two scuffles, the bantam kept his distance and stayed around the perimeter of the flock. That night the big guy didn't want to let our little guy in the coop, so I picked him up and put him in on the top roost. They have been fine every since - a few chases, but no contact.

6. CHICKEN CRAZY1

CHICKEN CRAZY1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't see why not as long as they would get along with hens around.

7. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Do you have bantam hens? I ended up butchering my Freedom Ranger rooster because he was such a bully with the hens. Plus, while I don't know his live weight, he was 8 lb butchered, and was easily twice the size of some of my smaller hens. Egg production was way down and I think all the hens were stressed out by the big brute. I'd be concerned that a full sized rooster could do damage to a bantam hen trying to mount her. Perhaps folks with more experience with bantams might have better advice.

8. Mskayladog

Mskayladog Chillin' With My Peeps

I have some sex links and silver laced wyndotts, 2 bantams Roos and a bantam hen the bantams I got from my daughter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by