1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fully developed chicks didn't hatch, Silkies & EE's did?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rlhagan56, Mar 26, 2016.

1. rlhagan56

rlhagan56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2012
    Out West
    I've read until my eyes feel like falling out, but hope to get some answers. I had the incubator 1588 full of Silkie pullet eggs (their first) for experiment, EE eggs and Ameraucana shipped eggs. All were doing fine on day 18, air cells, temp,, humidity were as they should be, auto turner. I was doing the Dry Incubation method and worried the Silkie eggs might not have enough humidity. The Silkie eggs hatched fine much to my surprise since the roo and hens were not even a year old yet. The EE's hatched fine. But the Ameraucana eggs didn't hatch and on day23 we saw no movement, did the float test, it was positive so we left them in the bator. today day 24 we saw no movement on candleing and opened them all for eggtopsies. All were beautifully developed but dead. Two were starting to smell. I doubt they drowned with internal pipping the air cells were right where they should have been.

Anyone have any ideas of why?

2. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    Shipped eggs often have the worst luck unfortunately. I have had between 0%~50% with shipped eggs and consistently in the 90%s with non shipped eggs. Since you had good luck with your other eggs I think it is safe to say it was not your method or something you did. Had you had bad luck all the way around I would say it was your temp, humidity, or something that oh contributed. But since it was only the one group of shipped eggs and only the one breed I would lean toward the shipping or something genetic.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    xs 2 Most likely it was damage from shipping. Shipped eggs have high occurance of not developing, or developing and not hatching. Pullet eggs in my opinion, are the best eggs for hatching. My first 100% hatch was my pullet's eggs and they had only been laying 4-6 weeks. And were about 7 months old.

4. rlhagan56

rlhagan56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2012
    Out West
    Okay, thank you for the replies. Really hurts the pocketbook, but I know it's a chance to take darn it. Yeah those little chicks are active and loud little things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by