Fully developed combs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SydneyLorpa, Oct 6, 2012.

1. SydneyLorpa

SydneyLorpa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    I read that chickens need fully developed combs before they start laying. I have 12 beautiful Black Australorps that are 5 months old and they have only the tiniest combs. I have never had this breed before, only Rhode Island Reds. Do the Australorps just have small combs?
    Geoff

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think that's right. I have Dorkings and my girls are about to start laying any day now (they're showing all the signs) but their combs are far from fully developed. They are redder than they were just a few weeks ago, but I've seen pictures of Dorking hens with huge, flopped over combs and my girls' combs are all less than a half-inch tall.

3. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know anything about this breed, but according to my buddy, Mr. Google - they have what I would call 'huge' combs.

If you go to www.google.com and click on the link that says "Images" (it is the third link in, right between "Search" and "Maps") and type in "Black Australorp hen" it should pull up several hundreds of thousands of pictures of them for you....at varying life stages. I use this method any time I want to look at pictures of a certain breed I'm interested in, or if I want to compare the gender of my chick to another chick in Google that's already been sexed, etc.

I wouldn't go click-crazy though, if I were you, as there is no guarantee at all that those images aren't on virus-ridden sites...the pictures themselves though - you can see larger if you just hover over them with your cursor (don't click).

FTR - I hope your hen lays an egger for ya soon if she hasn't already. =)

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Are they mixed with something else?

This supposed Jersey Giant (not) has a very small comb. Note the healthy red color which indicates she's laying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yet, this gal has a nice large comb and wattles.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps.

5. SydneyLorpa

Feb 10, 2012
    Thank you. I will do that immediately.
    Geoff

6. SydneyLorpa

Feb 10, 2012
    Sorry. Wrong reply. No, not a mix, just plain old Auatralorps. I'm going to take the suggestion of googling to look for photos.

7. SydneyLorpa

Feb 10, 2012
    Thanks, I will do that right now
    Geoff

8. SydneyLorpa

Feb 10, 2012
    The Hen Australorp doesn't seem to have a large comb. Thanks again
    Geoff

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by