Fully feathered, 5wk old chick laid her first egg, becoming aggressive?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SeptemberQuail, Dec 27, 2012.

1. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    Yesterday, when I went to check my chicks, I noticed a strange rounded, yellowish thing with spots on it. I realized it was an egg and so I took it in. I found out that one of my eldest chicks laid it even though she isn't a complete adult yet (turning 6wks in a few days).
    I know for sure which chick laid it, and now she's turning a little more aggressive on her hatch-mates, by coming near them and pulling on their feathers. She only does it occasionally, but I don't understand why.

Is it because pecking order is being established? She's the biggest out of the lot, and the heaviest (she eats a lot, just like her mother did before.) But ever since she laid that egg, she's been acting like the boss of all the others.

(Here she is)

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hormones do strange things to people, birds, and all animals.

1 person likes this.
  3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Agreed--hormones. As long as she's not causing damage I wouldn't worry about it. She's precocious and she's probably irritated that the others haven't caught up with her. Just keep an eye out and remove her if she starts to injure the others. :)

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

holy cow! I had no idea that quail laid so young!

5. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    Yeah, I was surprised, they're still young but she already laid an egg somehow, I know though that the other females should start laying next week. I checked her this morning and could feel another egg developing inside of her.
    She pulls at their feathers, but doesn't pluck them, so everything seems alright.

Thanks for the replies!

... Being precocious is normal for birds, right?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by