Fully Feathered?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Soot the silkie, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Soot the silkie

Soot the silkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    My chicks seem fully feathered and I know the legend is that once they are they can move into the coop, but I have a frizzle and she gets cold because her feathers don't hold in the heat. I was hoping the big hens would help keep them warm but to the little ones think of the hens as an incarnation of terror itself, so there is no chance of that. Should I put them out and hope that the other two normal chicks keep the frizzle warm? Or should I not risk it? My chicks are getting to big to be in a cardboard box with a heat lamp, but i don't want to put a heat lamp in the coop with the chickens, for fear of the old hens over heating.

2. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    How old are they and what's your nighttime lows?

3. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Xs 2

It is hard to answer this question not knowing your location, weather, and temps.

4. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    Weather: I'd say the low is about forty degrees, with some light drizzle and fog.
    location: Northern CA, and we're in a drought so it is usually sunny in the day and warm at night.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  5. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    also the coop is warm.

6. JadedPhoenix

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    At five weeks, I'd be more concerned on making sure that the transition was smooth since you have some older girls. The weather should be fine, though. I have a frizzle Cochin and she did fine over the winter with it getting down to three degrees.

7. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    Ok. Only one of my hens pecks on them, and she is very gentle. The chicks freak out when pecked and their reaction makes her seem mean and harsh. My other hen is very afraid of the chicks, though, because when she tried to peck them, the boss hen ripped out her feathers, indicating that only she was allowed to peck the chicks. With just one hen pecking on the chicks, I'm fine right? Is there any way i can get the chicks to be unafraid of the hen? Or will it just straighten out as they grow up? i'm nervous about putting them outside where i can't check on them a lot, and make sure the hen isn't pecking on them to much. I know the whole panic corner, integrate at night, and let them straighten out their own fights thing, but yet i'm still thinking about all the possible scenarios, the most forward in my mind the idea of a chick getting brain damage from a hard peck. can you allay my fears? Also my frizzle is kind of "frizzly" AKA not a full deck of cards AKA sort of dumb.

8. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Do it gradual... First take the heat lamp away during the day in the house, after a few days take it away all together, then After no heat lamp for a week they should be ready for the coop and adjust fine as long as everyone gets along.

9. JadedPhoenix

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    The pecking order will be straightened out as they grow. Eventually, all who want to remain above the new chicks in the order will show them in various ways that they will not let them take their place in the order. Be it pecking or chasing them off and such. Just keep an eye on them until the flock has adapted to the new dynamics of the flock. As for the chicks being afraid, that is a natural defense while they are still so young and you really don't want to discourage that natural defense too much. I'd fence off a section just for the chicks where the older chickens can see but not touch for the first few weeks until the new dynamics have been settled. I use some netting inside the run, myself.

As for your frizzle, just be aware that she may end up at the bottom of the order if she truly is that dense. But, someone has to be it eventually anyway.

10. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    I didn't really do it that way... I took them out for one hour everyday in the garden and then i would put the box in the sun for the rest of the day.then i put them in a wire cage for the whole day outside and brought them inside with the heat lamp at night. During this time i would take them out and put them in front of the old hens so they could see each other and interact. This went on for a week and a half. today i put them inside the coop and am planning to leave them in there for the night. Is this a good plan? While in the wire cage they experienced hard rain (they didn't get wet though but it was cold) and stayed out for the whole day. they did not seem cold

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by