fully formed chicks not pipping

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ultra1classic, Nov 22, 2009.

1. ultra1classic

ultra1classic THE FLUFFINATOR

Jul 20, 2009
    Virginia
    having a problem with chicks not pipping....loosing fully formed chicks...silkies...have been running humidity at about 50% during first 19 days and cranking it up to about 70% for last 3 days.....only getting maybe 1/2 of the chicks hatched...what am i doing wrong?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Are they internally pipping? For my area, and it seems to vary for us all, those humidities would be too high. If they are internally pipping, but not pipping the shell they may be drowning.

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    You are drowning them. Humidity to high. Keep the himidity 30 to 35 %
    the first 18 days then rise it to 55 to 60% for the last three days.

4. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Wow, I'm glad I read this post...waiting for people to reply to the topic I just posted, but I have been reading so much lately about waterfowl eggs that I guess I better pull the humidity pan out of the bator I am bringing to temp as we speak...it's gonna be too high!

5. ultra1classic

Jul 20, 2009
    Virginia
    some are pipping through shell....others inner membrane stuck to chick

6. ultra1classic

Jul 20, 2009
    Virginia
    everything i have been able to read on hatching silkies saying 50% first 19 then 65%
    have had same results running last 3 days from 60 to 70

7. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    What kind of incubator are you using?
    Make sure you don't open the 'bator after day 19 until the chicks have hatched.
    Did you open the 'bator?

8. ultra1classic

Jul 20, 2009
    Virginia
    using a little hova-bator...not opening....just read something saying if temp to high chicks can get to big to hatch. ..thinking this could be even bigger problem with silkies vaulted skulls?

9. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Hmmmm...
    Well, could be the strain of silkies, could be a humidity/ventilation issue, or could be a temp issue.
    I usually hatch silkies at about 30-35% humidity for the 1st 18 days. Then 50-60% at lockdown.
    Do you use a turner? I suppose it could also be that they weren't positioned right to hatch.
    There are so many variables to determining hatch rates. Unfortunately, sometimes the only way to figure out what went wrong is to change one thing about each hatch until you find out what works for you.
    When I have issues with chicks that made it to lockdown, but didn't hatch, it was usually a humidity issue.
    Were you incubating any other types of chicks, or just the silkies? If you were incubating other breeds/strains of chicks - you could rule out genetics.
    Each hatch is a learning experience.
    Good luck with your next hatches. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by