1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

fully formed dead babys

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by arteacher, Jun 18, 2011.

1. arteacher

arteacher Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    15 silkie eggs and 3 babys hatched. I opened some of the others. The babys are fully formed but dead. The sac is NOT broke and air chamber is probably 1/3 of the egg. No pipping either. GQF sportsman incubator set at 100 and temp on shelf 99.3 to 99.8 Humidity is about 55%on petsmart hygrometer and GQF wetbulb shows 82 deg(the original water tray kept full) one top and one bottom vent open. The incubator is in my air conditioned office. I should have chicks everywhere! I just bought 14 peafowl eggs yesterday. Wish I could figure this out. Folks that use a sportsman talk to me. What do you do?

These eggs were shipped but fertility was great. If the environment is good enough for 3 to hatch why would the rest die in the same tray on the same shelf in the same incubator?

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I am having the same issue. Every hatch I have at least two thirds fully formed but never hatched. I am using an Rcom and by all accounts the conditions are perfect for hatching. I do not know what is going wrong. I think next time I will try a higher humidity throughout days 1-18 to see if that makes a difference. I hope you (and I!) get it figured out!

3. Ceinwyn

Ceinwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Southeast Ohio
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa204
    Usually
    if you rule out incubation errors, your looking at the health of the breeding flock.
    Heredity or more likely diet.
    Hope your hatches improve, I know its heartbreaking to put so much energy into this and have nothing to show for it at the end.
    [​IMG]

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    It's a mystery. [​IMG] [​IMG] I have a Sportsman and my temp is around 99.5 to 100 with humidity around 50%. so far all my hatches have been good. I do have some eggs now and then that are fully formed chicks but never make it. I candle all of my eggs when I go into lock down. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  5. arteacher

arteacher Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    I may have found the problem! I have been using 2 spot check digital thermometers. One in the correct position on the sportsman and the other on the tray of eggs. They read 99.6-100 Since I have $140 in the peafowl eggs I bought I was tinkering with thermometers. I got out 2 of the gqf sportsman dial thermometers and tried them. They both said around 97 to 98. I put them both in ice water and calibrated them to 32 deg. Again, according to the dial thermometers I have been hatching at around 98 degrees. I have 5 or 6 chicks and dozens of dead embryos so I will try the dial thermometers. I raised the temperature and now my fingers are crossed.

I new it was not turning because it has an automatic turner
    I was pretty sure there is enough air circulation because I used to get good hatches
    I doubted it was humidity because people hatch eggs dry all the way up to 60%
    It had to be tempeture! We will see

I have 2 gqf dial thermometers that read 100 that I calibrated. 2 spot checks still in incubator that read 100.8 and 101.5 and an egg o meter that reads 100.8

Anybody have any input I would love to hear it. If this works all the cheap digital thermometers are going in the trash.

6. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Also calibrate your hygrometer. I thought mine was accurate until I hatched a bunch of rough navals and mushy chicks. Come to find out it was really off!

7. LilMissPetie

LilMissPetie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Michigan
    I don't trust the digital thermometers at all, just bought one yesterday. I add the turner and now the hygrometer I had wouldn't fit, so I went to Wal-Mart and got one of those digital thermometers with humidity on it too. The digital reads that inside the incubator right now is 96. 4 and the little paper one that came with the bator reads right on 101. Which before now the little paper one is what I would go by, with having 2 pretty successful hatches. The first I had 7/8 and the second 4/4. Yeah I would definitely not trust the digital.(but that could be just me) I am even starting to wonder how accurate it is on the humidity in there too. Well Good Luck [​IMG]

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Don't discount the fact that they were shipped as a cause. I have had 9 shipments of eggs this year with hatch rates ranging from 100% to 0 - and the high and low hatches in the bator at the same time, only difference was where they came from. About 1/3 of the non-hatchers were fully developed, just never pipped. I suspect that rough handling can cause problems even when the embryo develops.

9. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Quote:this happens to me with shipped eggs, eggs from my own flock, eggs from my neighbours flock and it happens with ducks and with chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by