Fully undigested food in poop?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by plumpudds, Oct 6, 2016.

1. plumpudds

plumpudds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2016
    Warrington
    I have two ducks that are 5 months old and one of them did a poop yesterday that really has me worried. It was the usual colour after a visit to the park (very dark brown because they spend their whole time with their beaks in the soil) but there were quite a few stones in there. It was actually mostly stomes but the rest was completely undigested worms, slugs and even a caterpillar? It's the first time I've seen their poop like this. If anyone could help that would be great.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @plumpudds First off taking your ducks to a park that may be inhabited by other birds is a big risk with diseases that can be transmitted.

Mine eat small rocks[grit] amd all the things you quoted but it never comes out the same as it went in so If I was you I would pick up some bird probiotics TSC has one called save a chick I believe it has vitamins and probiotics in it or they may carry another also. Start them on this and make sure they always have plenty of water, water is very important for water fowl they drink alot of it. It's perfectly normal for ducks to constantly root in mud dirt etc. They are very normal in that respect. What feed are you using at 5 months they should be on layer or an all flock.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. plumpudds

plumpudds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2016
    Warrington
    They are still very much bright eyed and happy, it was just that one that got me worried. They're both on layer feed at the moment and they get various treats like lettuice, corn, peas and mealworms and we make sure ther's always water nearby for them. I'll see if I can get hold of some of that save a chick that you recommended. Thank you so much for your help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by