Fumble Fingers :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wanda047, May 16, 2009.

1. wanda047

wanda047 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Hardy, Arkansas
    I have a bator full of eggs due Tuesday. This afternoon I decided to up my humidity, but was having a heck of a time getting it past 50. I finally decided to add a wet sponge, which worked wonderfully with my hatch two weeks ago in my other bator. Only problem was that the incubator is FULL of eggs, so I was having to rearrange some of the eggs to make room for the sponge. I DROPPED one of the eggs onto the counter top... cracking the egg on the side of the pointy end. There is nothing seeping from the egg (no blood, no fluid), so I assume it is shell cracked only and membrane is not injured. Think I killed my chick? [​IMG]

2. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    I would try to patch the egg with some wax just to be safe, It couldn't hurt to try and see if it hatches.

3. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hope not
    only time with tell
    maybe put a wet paper towel over the crack and put it back in the incubator
    good luck!!

4. wanda047

wanda047 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Hardy, Arkansas
    I just candled and there is movement, so at least it is alive at the moment. I could not believe I was so careless! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Hope your chickie makes it. I worry everytime I candle that I am going to drop one. I am sure in due time I will. Accidents happen.
    Good luck with him. [​IMG]

6. kbmead

kbmead Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2008
    Bainbridge Is., WA
    Superglue works! I have used it on cracked eggs a few days before they were ready to hatch, and the chicks came out fine. One had an underdeveloped eye, but she is fine and our favorite, tamest hen. I just put it gently over the cracks, and held it until the glue dried, then put back under the hen.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by