Fun Christmas Craft for pre-schoolers

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by AHappychick, Dec 6, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Been meaning to post this the past few days. When my sister and I were in Michael's getting stuff for making egg ornaments I saw some pinecones in a bag and it reminded me of a craft I did when I was in preschool. Something my mother still has. I am sure most of you have seen them in some form. I got the pinecones and plaster and a box of cheap beads, and bells and glitter modgepodge that I will be using for other stuff. And I bought the tinfoil muffin cups (as I usually use a green brand that is recycled and unbleached but I did not know how it would hold up to the plaster)

Day one I mixed plaster with DS and poured into cups after he had selected his favorite pinecones. (in hindsight I would go collect my own with him but did not think of it as the quality of the ones I got at michaels were not very good and stink of cinnamon.)
    Then after the plaster was poured he gently placed the pinecones in.

[​IMG]

Then with the stuff you see in the pic the next day we began decorating them once plaster cups were dry. I removed foil and he painted the base with glitter modgepodge and then while I worked the glue gun he selected whatever bead or bell he waned and chose where to place it.

He found 2 gold beads stuck together and it reminded him of a snowman so using more beads I made one to add to the base.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since he only has the patience to decorate 1 or 2 a day I have left the stuff out to the side so we can get them all done with in the week. [​IMG] Those are the 2 he finished.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  2. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Those are cute! I'm sure kids would love making them [​IMG]

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    We have so many pinecones around here - I use them to help light my stove fire! [​IMG]
    I saw them myself at walmart for $4 for a tiny bag.

I want to try soak some fancy smelly oil onto them and have them in little jar's or pots.. (if I could just find a nice pine smell or something I'd be thrilled!)

4. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    yeah they were not cheap and were not even very nice. Next year for sure I will be collecting them myself with ds. My Grandmother used to have a bunch of pines on her property and they always dropped the best and biggest pinecones. But she is long gone and the house belongs to someone else now.

5. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:Why not go by your Grandmother's old place and ask if you can pick up some of the pinecones? The current residents might be interested in some of the history that you could share with them and if there's lots of pinecones you might be doing them a favor by removing some of them. It might bring back some warm memories for you, too. [​IMG] Worst thing that could happen would be that they said 'no'....or the big RIR rooster attacks you. [​IMG] ...and either one of those is no biggie.

Best wishes,
    Ed

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  6. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:Why not go by your Grandmother's old place and ask if you can pick up some of the pinecones? The current residents might be interested in some of the history that you could share with them and if there's lots of pinecones you might be doing them a favor by removing some of them. It might bring back some warm memories for you, too. [​IMG] Worst thing that could happen would be that they said 'no'....or the big RIR rooster attacks you. [​IMG] ...and either one of those is no biggie.

Best wishes,
    Ed

lol I should...maybe next year. No roos I am the only crazy in my immediate area [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by