Fun for baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kikallez, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Kikallez

Kikallez Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2011
    We finally got to purchase our little flock yesterday of 6 buff Orpington pullets, a few days old. I wanted to give them an enriching activity, after all, if a hen was raising them they would have a very active day learning to forage. So, at Petsmart, I found a super neat product for turtles called Fluker's Medley. It is dried mealworms, crickets, and tiny shrimp. I figured this would fit the bill. I was right. I handed a chick a mealworm and off she ran, playing keep away. We then sprinkled the medley in the shavings and girls went to town, foraging and scratching their little feet backward. Our neighbor brought his nearly 4 year old boy over, and Garrison would hold a bug/shrimp/worm and let a chick grab it and the chick would take it and run like mad trying to keep it to herself, successfully entertaining us all. The chicks ate some of their starter, drank water,and now with crops full are plump, happy, and sleeping.

2. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    First game of chick keep-away! What fun!

Another fun game is live mealworms. See mealworms are super tasty to chickens (think Godiva chocolate) and are highly desireable. Then, when they MOVE too?! Wow! Both delicious AND scary AND interesting AND - it's getting away - GET IT!

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    :goodpost: They are so much fun to watch. :clap

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Oh yeah, it's great fun watching them! Try holding the worm a little way up, the chicks will jump up. ;) They will sometimes fly onto my knee if I hold the treats up far enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by