Fun historic poultry magazines

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jill Richardson, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Jill Richardson

Jill Richardson Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2009
    Hi folks,
    I'm doing my master's thesis on backyard chickens so I went plunging into old historic documents on chicken keeping in the US. I found a HUGE treasure trove. It's more than I need for the work I'm doing, but it's just so fun I thought I'd share it here: http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php/Historic_Poultry_Publications

I put it all on the Wiki page linked above. I did it in a bit of an obnoxious way bc you have to click the footnote to get the link to the publication. There's a reason I did it that way but I know it's a pain in the butt right now. Anyway - I hope you have as much fun as I'm having. It's amazing to see articles talking about a "brand new" breed called a Rhode Island Red that "looks promising," and some of the complete pseudo-science of the time before they seemed to understand very much that is known now. And then it's incredible to watch the discoveries as they make them. It's also helpful to see what was recommended way back then because I think for us a lot of it is still useful - like how many square feet you need per bird, etc.

3 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by