Fun in Tennessee

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KristyHall, Mar 1, 2012.

1. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    So I have been spending a lot of time in TN with my father and his side of the family.

I'll start with this bit of news, he gave me a beautiful well kept 1948 tractor with a box blade. I have been spending a lot of time learning how to use it. Now I know how to drive a tractor.... barely. Mastering it is a different story.

He and my uncle would hang out i the yard while I practiced with the tractor while helping them clean out the creek on his property.

I have discovered a couple of things while driving a 1948 tractor.

First, sitting in the seat is a lot like riding a horse on an English saddle. You feel every tiny bump and shift to the point that a small lump feels like a huge log.

Second, I have spent too much time on horse back. By the time the day was over every muscle was sore from tightening my thighs and shifting my weight as if that would affect how the tractor performs.

Third, I still have spent too much time on horseback because I kept yelling " WOAH!" when ever the tractor started to tilt or skid.

Fourth, my uncle and father are unsympathetic to my desire to control the tractor with my thighs and vocal commands. They laughed at me.

Five, tractors are evil.

Six, tractors are really evil.

Seven, did I mention they're evil? Because mine reared up, and it's eyes, I mean headlights, glowed red, and if i hit a stump wrong the wheel spins wildly out of my hand, trying to take my thumbs with it.

Eight, I loved every minute of being on that thing.

2. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    That is awesome! I just love older machinery...and the fact that it often still works! Why yes, I am looking at you two year-old broken laptop...

Got a random question for you. How is the humidity in TN (have you been during summer especially?), and how many ticks are there?

3. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I have ran alot of tractors, a word to the wise, keep your thumbs on the outside of the steering wheel.

You would like an excavator. They are the ultimate adult toy.

One of my jobs.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Lol, I like the *Whoa* part you were saying to the tractor!

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I had been warned about John. Everybody hated him as this creature had been known to have a mind of its own. With a hand on the sun-warmed side, I put my right foot in the stirrup and swung gingerly in the seat. I made eye contact with my husband who gave me a nod and stepped aside.

And the ride began. With the tiniest touch, John lunged forward. I leaned forward to keep him from rearing up. I pulled to the left and John went to the right. People shouted and scattered. I saw the cars parked ahead and managed to turn John around. Snarling, John charged down the hill straight toward the barb wire fence. Dogs followed, barking furiously. John ignored them but turned toward the trees.

I managed to turn him but now he was heading for the barn at full speed. I pulled back as hard as I could but John continued to charge for home. I jerked John to the right and mud flew high in the air as he spun in a circle. Finally, I managed to straighten John out. Suddenly my brain became very clear and I knew what I had to do. I couldn't bale out to safety so I simply leaned forward, turned the key, pulled the knob. With a snarl, the mighty John Deere came to rest. Dripping with mud, grass, and manure, the hooded tractor waited patiently for me to dismount.

I patted the green hood as I climbed down. I have my husband the key and said, "I'll try again tomorrow."

I didn't even lose my hat!

1 person likes this.
  6. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I love that story!

7. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    *nods* I learned that from my father who told me about the broken bones people have suffered from sticking wrists and thumbs inside the wheel.

8. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    I have, and it depends on where you are. Where I was, in southern middle tn. it is much like north alabama. It can get humid in the summer when there are rainfalls. The ticks vary. You can have a lot or a little. I have little problem with ticks. I think it is because i eat a lot of garlic and I have free ranging chickens around the house.

9. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by