Fun in the sun...and warmth

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cheryl, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

The temperature is supposed to be close to 90 in NH tomorrow, do you think I can take my chicks born last Tuesday outside for a bit of fun in the grass?

2. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Of course!!

Mine go out all day!! They even go out when it is colder as long as they have sun on them or a patch of sun to warm up in!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  3. Ma

Ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    I would say okay if its very warm, and only for a short time. It is easy for chicks to get stressed by just about anything, noises..birds flying overhead....etc.

My girls are 11 weeks old tomorrow and they still FLY into the coop whenever they hear the train whistle blow..[​IMG]

But yes if its very warm, no drafts, short time, and of course, stay with them.

Hope this helps.

4. Rebel Chicken

Rebel Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2007
    southern Indiana
    Take those chickies outside and have fun watching them explore!!![​IMG]

5. Cheryl

Well as long as the weather is as predicted, I will get a cardboard box and make a ring of it, then make sure my cat and dog are inside the house!

6. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Get them outside! They'll love it!

Personally, I try to go by the temp they are 'supposed' to be at. If the outside temp is within 5 degrees, I put them outside. They have both sun & shade out there. For instance, right now they are 5wks, so they should be about 70-75 degrees in the brooder box. If the temp outside is above 70, I've been putting them in our Chicken Teepee (wire structure.. not quite a chicken tractor but sorta... [​IMG] ).

'Course, if it's 75 and the wind is blowing really strongly, I haven't put them out. But a little breeze doesn't hurt them.

One lesson I learned that I'll pass on: Those little chicks can squeeze through almost anything!! I had to put window screen around it to keep them in.

-Meghan

7. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    We ended up building a little tractor because they loved it outside so much!
    We started putting them out when they were a week, for an hour or so - and by the time they were 2-3 weeks they were out almost every day! Rain and wind kept them in.

[​IMG]

8. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Very cute little tractor Chelly. You will get years of use out of it too and you just keep adding to your flock. They really do love to be outside.
    Hey Cheryl I did not hear that hot in New England today! Then again I don't think I saw the weather either. Coming up to the last hurrah!

9. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Its nice to see them outside, lovely tractor too, My chicks are outside all day with their mums, they have a windbreak and if it gets cold they go under mum, give them a little dustbath, that also helps keep them warm and makes them feel good! a little crater filled with dry dirt should do the trick!

10. Cheryl

One week old today and I put them outside for about 1 1/2 hours... The top is a screen and is actually hinged on, I lifted it for the photo
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by