Fun little project

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by sheaviance1, Oct 23, 2010.

1. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I recently went yard-saling and hit paydirt on some great items! One of the items that I found, never really wanted one, was a bread machine. I LOVE to make bread, but working a full-time job, gardening, canning, etc. doesn't allow much free time to do it, so I thought, okay, we'll get it an try it out. It was CHEAP, so I knew I could just give it away if I didn't like it. I brought it home, set it up beside a crock pot full of beef stew, put in my ingredients, set the delay bake option, and when I got home that night, was tickled to find the bread and the beef stew ready to be eaten (at 8:30 just as we arrived back home from my son's football practice). I left the house that morning at 7:00. The meal they would have received had I needed to cook that late would have been a hot dog. The bread it makes is not as good as what you make with your hands. Perhaps I am partial because I love to make bread, but there it is. It is fresh bread though, and that is always better than store-bought. The problem came when i tried to store the "fresh bread". This machine makes a HUGE loaf, much wider than I had a container for. So, I repurposed an old bag that a new comforter set came in. I ripped it apart at the seams, sandwiched it between a layer of muslin and a layer of quilting fabric and it was done. It turned out pretty good, but for me the most important thing is that it worked! I have always been one to purchase bread at the farmer's market also, so i plan to make on for the round shaped loaves that I purchase there. And, it is machine washable, but I don't want to dry mine in the dryer, I'll hang it up to dry. It was a fun little project to do, looks cute sitting on the counter, but it also serves it's purpose well! I am not very good at sewing, so you will have to overlook the mistake I made, but here it is below.
    [​IMG]

2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    WOW! Great idea sheaviance1! And it's pretty [​IMG]

3. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I think it turned out great! Very creative of you!

Now you know we need pictures of the bread, too, right?

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I always have that problem with my regular loaf breads. I like the idea of cloth, then I can wash it. Why do we store bread in plastic? Does it get stale in cloth? I just accepted that bread needed to be stored in plastic because It is sold that way.
    I have always wanted to try my hand a quilting because it looks so fun, but I never wanted to commit to something so large it would turn into a nightmare if I did not like it.
    I think I have my next' freezing day sitting by the wood' stove project.
    "Have a need, fill a need."
    I love your idea! [​IMG]

5. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I have a bread basket with a quilted liner, and I have tried to store bread in it. It keeps it toasty warm throughout a meal, but doesn't keep it fresh. That's why when I made this bread bag, I used plastic between the layers of cloth.

I have always wanted to try my hand a quilting because it looks so fun, but I never wanted to commit to something so large it would turn into a nightmare if I did not like it.

I started small and made a crib quilt first, then I made a lap quilt. Those are the only two I have ever made complete. The lap quilt was a fun quilt to make, it was a rag quilt (where mistakes are welcome and hidden by the shaggy seams). I really cannot sew well, so small projects are perfect for learning.

Now you know we need pictures of the bread, too, right?

I'll try to get you one when i make a new loaf, lol! Thank you all for your compliments on my bread bag [​IMG]

6. redwing76

redwing76 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    I love it! What a great idea!!!! Great use for those quilt bags too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by