1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fun new toy!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by moonflowers, Apr 11, 2009.

1. moonflowers

moonflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    So last night I was playing with my cat who is feeling neglected by my love and distraction of the chicks when I had a brilliant idea-- My chicks LOVED it! I used my little laser pointer (a red dot) and moved it around in my brooder. The chicks chased after it and pecked at whatever it was sitting on. (I was VERY careful not to get i t in their eyes or on them at all so they didn't peck each other.) Anyway, it was much amusement for all involved, me, DH, chicks, and cat so I thought I would share. I feel so bad for them stuck in their cage when it is cold and rainy outside so I can't give them a trip outside and now at least I can provide some entertainment for them!! [​IMG]

2. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Hmmm. Not trying to throw cold water on the fun, but being as chicks/chickens will peck a bloody spot (wound) on another chick/chicken, even to the point of killing that unfortunate bird, do you think it is a good idea to have them chasing the red laser spot?

You may recall that a noted side benefit of red heat lamps is to hide any blood on the chicks that could encourage pecking.

Just thought I'd mention it.
    Best wishes,
    Ed

3. moonflowers

moonflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Oh... I feel silly now. Thanks for the warning... goes to hide head in shame.

4. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Don't worry about it...a little tidbit of knowledge with *many* more to come. [​IMG]

Ed

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Give them some crickets from the pet store. They'll have something to chase AND some nutrition, plus it's highly entertaining for you.

6. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    I started giving my chicks the paper towel roll, funny watching them check that out.

7. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Do not hide your head in shame. I tried to share this thread on another where someone was doing the same thing. I was told it was ridiculous to worry. So you can't win either way!

8. welovechickens

welovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    You can use a regular flashlight with a narrow beam and have the same entertaining results. [​IMG] I found this out accidently when sunlight reflected off my watch face just right, and the chickens went crazy chasing the spot of light in the grass. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by