1. wolfandfinch

wolfandfinch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    Do chickens play? Should I make and sort of jungle gym thing in their run? Things to climb/jump on? things to peck at besides grit and food?

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:I have a large run and I piled some tree branches up-----they used it to hide from hawks and hide their eggs.

3. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    Quote:My chicks love to play, espcially chasing one another [​IMG]. I would say tree branches. Jungle gym sounds fun, why not, what do you have to loose ? I've tried flock blocks, at first they just looked at it and looked at me like "what the ? " I laughed so hard [​IMG] so I took a shovel and got few pieces of and they just pecked at it for a while then lost intrest [​IMG]. Sometimes I hide treats for them in their run and it is so funny when they discover it [​IMG] it looks like they've found a GOLD [​IMG]. They are very lucky to have someone like you to think of them and care for them. Good luck [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  4. wolfandfinch

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    Quote:My chicks love to play, espcially chasing one another [​IMG]. I would say tree branches. Jungle gym sounds fun, why not, what do you have to loose ? I've tried flock blocks, at first they just looked at it and looked at me like "what the ? " I laughed so hard [​IMG] so I took a shovel and got few pieces of and they just pecked at it for a while then lost intrest [​IMG]. Sometimes I hide treats for them in their run and it is so funny when they discover it [​IMG] it looks like they've found a GOLD [​IMG]. They are very luck to have someone like you to think of them and care for them. Good luck [​IMG]

What are flock blocks?

tree branches would be easy, since we need to remove a tree in the back yard. I'm using most of it to build nonsense logs (to grow our own mushrooms!) but I'll have lots of branches left over. Brilliant!

5. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I heard of flock blocks here in BYC, didn't know what it was so I went to my local store where I but them their food. It's a hard block with dried corns and grains in it and they just pick on it. I was told that wild birds love them, no wonder, mine didn't [​IMG]. They should of named it "wild block" !!!

6. wolfandfinch

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    Quote:Ha! Sounds like something I could make... would be worth a shot then I bet...

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My birds just LOVE the "park bench" in my yard because they can perch up on the back of it in a row of at least six chickens, and look over the whole run. The bench is outside the run; my chickens range freely. They also love to play in the raised garden beds, but that play is actually chicken behavior: scratching for bugs, dust-bathing, perching on the retaining boards.

8. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    ofcourse you can [​IMG]
    Since we have had a lot of snow here, I let them free range. Well to say the least it was limited, every where was 2 ft of snow (the rest is slowly melting, thank God). So they went to this corner that is close to the house and it has little grass shown and dirt. I saw 1 rooster and 2 hens take a dusk bath in 1 ft lengh of dirt [​IMG]. The only reason I knew there were 3 of them there because of their different color of feathers. One's butt was at his face, oh I wish I had a camera with me. Some people make a sand box for chicks. If I was to make one, I would probably put worms in it for them to find it. But than we'll they get use to it [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  10. wolfandfinch

Jan 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    thanks everyone! I love all the ideas [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by