Fun @ the Feedstore--Sexing StraightRun Chicks for Customers, LOL.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by speckledhen, Mar 20, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

One of the local feedstores happened to get some Barred Rock chicks in today when I had to go for shavings. They were straight run chicks, very cheap, just $1.25/each, from Ideal. An older couple was looking at the chicks and when one of the chicks got out, I said something like, Back in there, Little Boy....the man said,"Oh, you know how to sex these?" Well, I sure do! Barred Rocks are my thing. So, the couple got sexed pullets out of the straight run bin without having to order 25 pullets, pay extra, and wait for Pullet Day, LOL. Bet the feedstore wouldn't be too happy with me if I stood there all day and sold all the pullets and left the baby roos, LOL! [​IMG]

I got home and when I pulled the mail out of the box, there was a nice card addressed to Cynthia "Speckled Hen", LOL, from one of my nicest customers. Wonder what Mike the mail carrier thought. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  2. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    O.k, I'll bite. How can you tell them apart?

4. speckledhen

Pullets: small, well-defined headspot, darker leg fronts, very black down color

Cockerels: larger, irregular, splothier headspot, lighter leg color, faded/silvery-looking down color (lighter overall color)

This works about 90% of the time.

5. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Lucky customers!
    Timing is everything!!

6. Cocky

Cocky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2007
    Georgetown, SC
    stinks for the customers who bought any after them....but great for them

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  7. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    That was so sweet of you. I am sure they left very happy. An act of kindness sure goes a long way. [​IMG]

8. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Thanks, Speckledhen. Can you sex the orpingtons as easily?

Barb

9. speckledhen

Sure, just wait six weeks and see whose comb and wattles are bright pink, LOL. Actually, most cockerels have thicker legs than pullets, so sometimes you get a clue from that before the comb turns.

10. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I keep hearing about BR being sweet. Is that true? If I could get one more chicken, I think it would be one of those!

Specks - If I go to Fla this summer, could I stop by and pick one up? Just fooling with you. Really, are they that sweet and easy going?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by