1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fun ways to earn money

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by chloezoebob101, Feb 21, 2012.

1. I don't really need to earn money, but I like to earn some so if i come across like a cow or something, i can get it. so far i have a rabbitry with my brother. an egg selling business. a calf I'm gonna sell next year. but i need some more ways. not like a lemonade stand, no one would even see it because I'm out here in the country. Something fun, something creative!!!

2. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

If you're the crafty type, I make and sell handmade greeting cards. It's super easy, and really, all you need is some cardstock and either nice handwriting skills or some rubber stamps. The cards will pay for your supplies in no time, and you're in business! [​IMG]

If you like kids, babysitting is a cliche but good option. Talk to your parents about putting up flyers in your local grocery store and post office?

Sell off any used books or clothes you no longer want on Craigslist...

If you're old enough, maybe a part-time job after school is an option? Our local gas station's rule is sixteen or older, but if frequently depends on area and workplace.

My younger sister grows plant starts in our big kitchen window... She's had a lot of success with basil, and folks will pay through the nose to not have to start with seeds.

So there's some ideas to get you started, and I'll let you know if I come up with more.

3. i am the crafty type, so that sounds fun!
    i love kids but I'm not sure if i like babysitting..
    oh good idea! i will have to start on that one!
    definitely not old enough...
    i am growing flowers to grow at the farmers market this year, but i don't have a green thumb, its more like a shade of yellow...
    thank you!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Eenie114 actually has a good idea with the plants. We have a small garden nursery and we sell many many herbs like basil (try and get some different types), thyme, rosemary and mint. We also sell lots of peppers and chillies when we grow them and lots of people asked for tomato seedlings.
    I grow succulents as I'm not blessed with green thumbs like my DH. They are very forgiving, dead easy to grow and very popular.

5. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

No problem at all! If you don't feel ready for full babysitting just yet, a job as a mother's helper might be good place to start to gain some experience.

6. i did help somebody once ( okay maybe for a full year every tuesday). me and my friend would go to her house every tuesday and help her babysit her grandson while she cooked, and we cleaned up after him. while also helping her with lots of other chores around the house. we did it for free of course bc Ivan was so fun, we didn't care about the money

7. so i took up dishes and cleaning up the dog poop in the yard. totally worth it, i get two extra dollars a week, so now i get ten!!

8. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    We did pretty good with flowers when I was growing up. So well we had to find a wholesaler for pots and seed starting trays. We'd take a load to the flea market and sell out by 11am, more than covering the $14 set-up fee. We bought everything in bulk to reduce cost, started everything from seeds. Purple Cone Flowers, Black Eyed Susans, mostly natives that would grow well in the area. We had enough Iris and Hostas in the yard to split them and pot the little ones for sale.

Most of the seeds came out of the yard, free of charge. Just had to get to them before the birds did and dry them indoors and save them till about now. Start them indoors, then move them into the plastic and PVC pipe green house we built.

Some of the money was saved for the expenses of the following year, so the only out of pocket cost was start-up.

9. wow!! sounds like a good idea! i am gonna grow flowers this year :)

10. i am now doing the dishes and picking up dog... droppings..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by