1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

funeral floral arrangements in progress. update finished

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by AHappychick, Nov 5, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I am working on one of 2 arrangements at the moment. I had to take a break so that the lilies could sit in warm water and open up. I have only done flowers a few times for close friends, but the others were happy occasions (wedding, bridal shower) I am hoping it looks better once the roses open up. if anyone has any suggestions please let me know as I am not a florist at all [​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is what is left that I have to work with and maybe 30 more of the regular roses
    and more lilies not in pics

[​IMG]

I am putting some of the burgundy spay roses in the sash part they are different than the regular red roses that are the cross.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  2. blessedchickenmama7

blessedchickenmama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    My husband's family owned a florist for many years and I worked with them and in a few other places. This is gorgeous and looks very EXPENSIVE!! I love your placement of the roses on the cross, and actually I like them closed better, but that's just me... Your lines look great, but if it were me I would bring the white spray in just a bit so it is not so long. Also, what type of greenery are you planning to use? Some jade leaves will frame the lilies and really make them show up. Especially if you shine the leaves up before you place them. If you have a hanging type green like ivy, etc, and you shorten the spray, it will also frame the long white lines and give you a softer edge to the spray with a very defined line on the cross, which gives a nice contrast.

You may think you are not a florist, but you've got some real design talent!

3. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    thanks I have a wholesale account with a floral distributer which is why I am able to do this and why I ever started (to save money yet have a really nice wedding for my friend) When I am done it will cost each of my friends $30 at most [​IMG]

I dont have any greens but was planning on using some off one of the plants I have.

I will make the sray smaller like you said [​IMG] I really did not do rows with the roses just tried to squeeze as many in as possible. I hate carnations and dont really like the stuff I see from the florests around me. Its been healing doing it, sort of.

Now got to put ds to bed and I will finish them after he is asleep.

thanks I am glad you like it and that you know what you are talking about, that makes me feel much better lol

4. blessedchickenmama7

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Well, you're good enough, with folks who aren't such close friends you could charge some for your time. That's how my mom-in-law started, and then she bought a florist that had been in business for some years and kept it herself for a long time. I wouldn't want to do it full time anymore because it seemed like we got funerals every Christmas and Easter, but it's nice to pick up some money some times. I did some wedding stuff for our family last winter, but I don't do much anymore. Once I started working in a different field I only helped when she got slammed.

5. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    ok I am all done and so tired. I may adjust the lilies a bit once they open on the cross, we will se tomorrow. I still need to make the cards and touch them up a bit with fresh eyes tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. tattooedchickenlady

tattooedchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Dinky Springs, la
    Sorry it's for such a sad occasion, but they look beautiful. And from personal experience, people appreciate anything you make yourself.

7. murphysranch

murphysranch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    Murphys CA
    Simply gorgeous!

8. blessedchickenmama7

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Absolutely wonderful! You did a fine job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by