Funeral Home protocol?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Camelot Farms, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I tend to be a bit weird about the whole death experience, I am squeemish and slightly neurotic so maybe I am just over-reacting...

DS (age 20)'s buddy Joe works for his mom in her cleaning business. They clean just about all of the buildings in our little town. She is on vacation this week and hired DS to help out Joe.
    1st evening, DS comes home looking a little green around the gills. I ask him what's wrong and he says 'do you know that they dont put the bodies away at night?' Scuse me?
    Well apparently one of the contracts that this cleaning service has is with a funeral home. DS went in the 'viewing rooms' to vaccuum and the folks were right there in the coffins. He nearly passed out. My kids are a bit sheltered in that they have only ever attended one funeral in their lives so seeing a body was a bit of a shock.

The next evening DS arrives home shaking his head and saying that he hopes this week gets over quickly. "Why?" I ask.
    He tells me that it was bad enough when the deceased were in the coffins but tonight he went to clean one room and the body was just laying out on the table.

I am appalled. I cant imagine leaving bodies unattended and just hanging around. I sure dont want to be on display for the janitor. (nothing against Janitors)
    What if my kid wasnt a decent upright citizen? He could have snatched jewelry, watches, rearranged some things...egads.

I truly thought that in between viewings, the bodies were kept *gulp* refreidgerated or at least locked in a room where no one other than staff has access.

Am I wrong? Is this weird? I can tell you when I go to make my pre-arrangements, I will be asking whether my body will just be left willy nilly wherever they feel like it or will it be secure?

Egads....

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I guess I just always thought they would be put away too. Although I can't say I ever knew where "away" was. I would think though that once they are embalmed they would bot need to be refrigerated [​IMG] Oh my! I just don't know. I don't consider myself squeamish but I have to say it would bother me to be sweeping under someones Grandma [​IMG]

3. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    I know that back in the 60-70's and probably before that they used to do home viewings the body would be in the coffin opened up in someone's living room for about a week before burial. Formaldehyde is good stuff its a very strong preservative and once the body had been cleaned and drained and rinsed and injected with the formaldehyde it won't decompose anytime very quickly. Medical students who get their cadavers to work on in Anatomy class use them for a VERY long time, to the point they are rotting but they do fridge them at night I think in most schools. It just depends on what you are used to and what your beliefs are. A dead body is an empty vessel to me.

4. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    Ps- camelot- I still LOVE my blue red rooster and hen I bought from you!!!!! I have hatched some babies from them too!

5. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Depends on the facilities and room. I know many funeral homes will leave bodies in coffins over night between wake and funeral - this is because usually the wake is the night before the funeral, and they have the funeral either there at the home or somewhere else and usually the viewing rooms have a exit door (atleast the 3 funeral homes around here do) to be loaded easily into hurse(sp?) - anyway they leave them open as well so before funeral anyone who couldn't make it to wake can still come and say their last respects to the deceased before the coffin is sealed for the funeral.

About the back - some places have a whole room that stays cool and they can leave the bodies laying out - they are probably left out through shift changes and what not or over night while they are still being prepared and all. Also the body could have been on the ledger for cremation, and so wrapping it back up, moving it into refridgerated storing area, and then removing again is not necissary - and it won't hurt to leave them out till they are picked up and taken to crematorium (most are picked up in the evening or morning BTW) - atleast here again and people I know who work in funeral homes/morgues.

I agree though - with the all the chemicals they pump in the bodies - they aren't going to decompose to badly as long as its not warm in the storing room. Some facilities especially morgues keep bodies stored in a freezer room or in refridgerated rolling boxes (like you see on TV a lot) - but many places are no where near as neat, organized, and 'pretty' as TV morgues/funeral homes are.

I won't be buried BTW - cremated all the way. I have seen the back of a funeral home (uncle used to own one of the ones here - so I went to check it out a few years ago) and its quite interesting, not alot like TV shows portray it. [​IMG]

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    <-------scared of zombies. If I were your son, I would probably do a "double-tap" even on the bodies...just to make sure.

7. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    Once you are dead your body no longer "belongs" to you. So you can have as many stipulations as you wish......but they don't have to abide by them. Several of my family members owned/operated a chain of funeral homes. Needless to say, I will be cremated. Did you know that you have to state that you want ALL the cremains back? People pick out pretty urns that sometimes don't have the capacity for the amount of cremains.
    Oh, they are not ashes either. The cremains are the processed carbonized skeleton remains. The bone density determines the amount of cremains. Their consistency depends on the processor, some are powdery (think bone meal) others are more pebble like.
    I have a pet crematory, same equipment etc. I've decided I don't want to be sodden lump of chemical goo in a moldy casket liner. Let my cremains enable wildflowers to grow where I'm scattered.
    Slinky

8. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Cremate me and put my ashes in the chicken dustbath box![​IMG]

9. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]
    OMG I can imagine someone visiting your husband or kids and being like "What are the chickens doing?"

Kids reply "They're dust bathing with whats left of mom, she would be so happy to see them so happy a year later!"

10. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    There ya go [​IMG] Talk about being green!
    Slinky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by