fungal infection liquid in crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TomandBarbara, Feb 11, 2015.

1. TomandBarbara

TomandBarbara Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2012
    Please see my previous post "nystatin third dose" i need help with this please my hen isnt drinking so what is the brown liquid she just bought up?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Did your vet tell you that she has a sour crop? That can cause a fungal and or bacterial infection. Sour crop is very hard to treat, but water to flush out the crop, and antifungal medicines are commonly used. Probiotics should be used to help the bacterial flora of the GI tract. Tube feeding or crop feeding may help get more fluids into her. Do a search at the top of the page for "go team tube feeding."

3. TomandBarbara

Aug 26, 2012
    Hi Eggcessive thanks for replying.
    Vet took samples last week and confirmed a yeast infection so started Rosalie on anti fungal treatment Nystatin on Monday.she is due her fourth dose this morning.she has shown signs of wanting to eat ( boiled egg yolk and chicken) but is barely touching her water. I know w are doing everything possible and there is a chance we might still lose her but I am concerned as to if this fluid is the water and we just haven't seen her drink or if it's something else. She has always been a small chicken and now is 3yrs old.

Christina
    Mum to
    Rosalie-columbian blacktop
    Penelope-bluebell
    Agatha-light sussex

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might try offering her a small bowl of water up to her beak often, if she won't drink, you can dip her beak to show her what you want. Tube feeding would be a good way to get more water into her. Aquarium tubing burned on one end to round off sharp edges can serve as a feeding tube, connected to a 35 or 60 ccc syringe. Tubing can be found at Walmart or pet stores. Syringes are found at farm stores.

5. TomandBarbara

Aug 26, 2012
    We have tried everything. From beak dipping to syringing however we think that it's all too late.the nystatin is having no effect.she has lost all muscle mass,is showing signs of losing sight in one eye and hasn't the strength to stand up when she falls (which is happening all too often now.she just stays in the same position for hours.Hubby and I have made appointment to visit vet tomorrow to put her to sleep.its heartbreaking seeing her like this but we can't put her through this anymore.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry that she is doing so much worse.

7. MacCana

MacCana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2014
    @TomandBarbara , sorry to hear your girl is not doing well.

I've not had experience with sour crop yet, but have had some scares. I hope she makes a turn around soon, but it may be time to start considering your options of lessening her pain with euthanasia/culling if you think she'd be better off, or that there's no chance for recovery. I had a chick with severe cross-beak once that I was able to keep alive for almost 2 months. It showed so much will to live!!! I had to try and help. But he/she reached a point where I couldn't get it to drink anything and it began to thirst to death. Once it could no longer stand on it's own, I made the decision to have it culled by a neighbor if not only to ease it's suffering. It must be horrible to die of dehydration or hunger...

I cried over it, but sometimes there's nothing that can be done and you have to find the compassion to end the suffering even though it kills you. I commend you for your efforts. Even though they're "just chickens" we seem to love them as if they're our children through no fault of our own.

Like I said, I hope she makes a turnaround, but looking into "end of life" options may be a good idea [​IMG]

Sorry you're going through this [​IMG]Good luck!

8. TomandBarbara

Aug 26, 2012
    Thanks MacCana. She can't lift her legs to move and isn't showing much interest in anything over than closing her eyes. I'm still hoping for a miracle.but my heart is breaking [​IMG]

9. MacCana

MacCana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2014
    Aww thats so sad to hear. I'm so sorry! We get so attached after so many years.

Try looking at this link, I will break it up using the spacebar so that I'm able to post it. "fix" it by removing the spaces.

http://www. backyardchickens .com/t/635042/antibiotics-for-sour-crop-as-a-last-resort

You never know, it may not be too late. I'll send a prayer up for her! [​IMG]

10. TomandBarbara

Aug 26, 2012
    Thanks she "woke up" for about 2 minutes and guzzled approx 100ml of fluid.I begin to think there's hope then she closes her eyes and stays like that for hours.thats all she has and it's been the same every night for over a week.im so torn because for a couple of minutes before she goes to sleep she seems like she could improve but then for the other 23 1/2hrs she's at deaths door.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by