1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fungus gnats on indoor tomatoes... Maybe?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by scsd15, Mar 21, 2016.

1. scsd15

scsd15 New Egg

Feb 7, 2016
    I've started some indoor tomatoes with plans to move them outdoors when it's time. Lately, I've noticed gnats hanging out on the soil surface. I've researched the subject some and I know letting the soil dry out is a biggie. I was wondering if anyone has experience on this subject... Or suggestions for getting rid of these things! Thank you in advance!

2. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    malathion works pretty good on getting rid of them but the best is to allow the soil to dry and then bottom water only when needed.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Different insecticides like permethrin, pyrethrin, sevin, and malathion can be effective. I don’t know how big a problem this will be on indoor plants, but a downside to using any insecticide is that it can kill helpful living things in the soil. There is a whole universe of good living stuff in good garden soil, you don’t want to kill them. If you use any insecticide use it sparingly, it usually doesn’t take much to get the targeted critter.

Keeping the surface of the soil dry has another benefit, it helps prevent damping off. Damping off is where a fungus grows at the soil surface that turns the stem black and causes it to shrivel, killing the plant. I have a small fan I sometimes use to keep the soil surface dry to prevent damping off.

Bottom watering is great advice.

4. scsd15

scsd15 New Egg

Feb 7, 2016
    Thanks so much guys!

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by