1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Funky Bubbly Eyes.. HELP! (GROSS PICS!) NEW UPDATES!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KellyGwen, Jul 26, 2008.

1. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Hi All!

I sort of hijacked someone elses post last week about puffy eyes, but I wanted to start my own thread because I think it's spreading!

It started with 2 of my cockerels. One had 2 swollen eyes and the other had one. Yesterday I noticed 2 more chicks with puffy eyes (not as bad as the first 2!) and grabbed them last night while they were sleeping (the only time I can catch them!) and put them with the other 2 in my garage. All of them are about 6 weeks old.

I am giving the 4 "sickos" electrolytes, vitamins and terramycin in their water. My friend in Boston is going to send me some erythromycin eye ointment (she works for an eye doc and can get it for free).

I've taken all of the waterers out of the coop, bleached the HECK out of them and added the same electrolyte and vitamins to it for the rest of the flock.

Is there anything else I can do??? What is the likelihood that these birds will die? I hate seeing them sick... and my MIL is blaming me that they got sick at all...
    [​IMG]

HELP! [​IMG]

This is one of my EE cockerels... BOTH of his eyes are swollen
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my Lakenvelder boy who's other eye looks like the EE's eye ... and a brown leghorn pullet who's eye has just started to crust up...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

[​IMG] I sure dont know what that is, but hope SOMEONE will be able to help you...and soon!! That looks terrible! Poor babies.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    http://www.welphatchery.com/poultry_health.asp

I
    have no idea either could be any of a doz. things wrong...look through this welphatchery health post..I had saved it from Speckledhen posting it...
    There are acouple eye infection posts on there maybe you can tell by the signs listed...

Maybe someone else can come along with answers...

Do a search in the Search Engine in blue at the top here just type in Bubbly eyes and lots of posts come up...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  4. SandyAcresPoultry

SandyAcresPoultry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    This is from a post back in March from chickmania...symptoms exactly like yours: It is from Peter Brown:

got this info from Peter Brown tonight....

Hey Jean:

I have seen this many times before. The underlying causes are many. Things such as E.coli, Pseudomonas,Coryza, Bronchitis,etc.

I would Nasal Flush the bird using Oxine or Tylan 50 with sterile water. I would then apply either eye drops or eye ointment to the eye several times daily.

DIRECTIONS FOR TREATING SINUSITIS WITH SWOLLEN EYES

NASAL FLUSH USING TYLAN 50 OR LA-200

USING 12 CC’S OF STERILE WATER ADD 2 CC OF TYLAN 50 OR 1 CC OF LA-200 AND THEN FLUSH EACH NOSTRIL( USING A SYRINGE WITH THE NEEDLE REMOVED ) WITH 3 TO 4 CC’S TWICE PER DAY FOR 5 TO 7 DAYS. THE BIRDS HEAD SHOULD BE HELD DOWN SO AS NOT TO SWALLOW TO MUCH OF THE TYLAN SOLUTION.

FOLLOW THE FLUSHING WITH VET-RX SQUIRTED LIBERALLY INTO EACH NOSTRIL. DO THIS AFTER EACH FLUSHING.

USING THE EYE OINTMENTS IS A CRITICAL PART OF GETTING THE SWELLING TO GO DOWN. USE THE EYE OINTMENT EVERY 2 TO 3 HOURS DURING THE DAY IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. YOU SHOULD USE IT AT LEAST TWICE PER DAY. START IN ONE CORNER OF THE EYE AND LAY DOWN A SMALL STRIP OF THE EYE OINTMENT FROM ONE CORNER OF THE EYE TO THE OTHER CORNER OF THE EYE.

IT MAY ALSO BE HELPFUL TO FLUSH THE EYE ONCE PER DAY WITH AN OVER THE COUNTER HUMAN EYE WASH THAT IS BORIC ACID BASED AND THEN PROCEED WITH THE NASAL FLUSHING AS DESCRIBED ABOVE. THE EYE WASHES ARE READILY AVAILABLE IN ALL DRUG STORES.

IT MAY BE NECESSARY TO USE MORE POWERFUL ANTIBIOTICS TO CURE THIS SWOLLEN EYE PROBLEM. IF YOU ARE NOT MAKING PROGRESS , PLEASE CALL ME SO THAT WE MAY DISCUSS YOUR SITUATION AND MAKE ANY NECESSARY CHANGES.

TYLAN 50 OR LA-200 - 2 TO 3 DROPS DIRECTLY INTO THE EYE TWICE A DAY FOLLOWED BY THE EYE OINTMENT TWICE PER DAY FOR 5 TO 7 DAYS

CILOXAN EYE DROPS GIVEN AT THE RATE OF 2 TO 3 DROPS IN THE AFFECTED EYE 2 TO 3 TIMES A DAY FOR 5 TO 7 DAYS

Ciprofloxacin Eye drops or Chloramphenicol Eye Ointment available in the online store on this site.

This should take care of the problem.

Keep us posted if you will.

Keep em Healthy,

Doc

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:
    Actually that reply was regarding chickens with the "bully eye" symptoms. I had asked him what causes it as we have had many people post pictures of their chickens that looked like they lost a boxing match.

When I hear about bubbling eyes, I think coryza, ILT, bronchitis or crd.

7. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I remember one post a long time ago where the bubbly eyes were CRD. I hope that's not the case for you! If it is, Terramyacin has a dosage on the back of the package for treating CRD. I called Phizer to find out how much 200mg is, and they told me that ONE level teaspoon is equal to 200mg. So if the dosage calls for 400mg, use 2 level tsp (that's per gal of water). Good luck, I sure don't know what it could be!!!! [​IMG]

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    If you notice, he is stating that E. Coli, pseudomas, coryza, bronchitis, etc. could be treated with the treatment he suggested. I agree.

9. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    get some Tylan 50 injectible..and some syringes..ASAP.
    to treat respiratory illness..(and other mycoplasma infections)
    or LS-50, or Baytril. (your friend may be able to get you some)..
    Tylan and LS-50 is available at most farm/feed/livestock suppliers in the livestock section.

Terramycin won't do it.

wash the eyes with saline..and treat with antibiotic ointment..

give vitamins..poultry vitamins..and/or Poly-vi-sol liquid baby vitamins, Enfamil brand no iron..3 drops on beak once a day for a week, then taper off for a week.
    also give extra protein..such as cooked eggs.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  10. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Also be very careful not to cross contaminate any of your saline or eye medications. You can use sterile swabs to apply or use latex or plastic gloves and change between each chicken you treat.
    Don't touch the tube of antibiotic eye ointment to the eye etc.
    Good luck and am saying prayers for you and your chickens! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by