"Funky Chicken" coop and run finished

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by speedymom, Jul 17, 2010.

1. speedymom

speedymom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2010
    I finally finished my coop! With my Mom hubby and 16 month old daughter helping me it still took a few months to totally finish. (painting and everything)Well, it started as "chicken shangri-la" but it had so many wrong angles and measurements that we started calling it the Funky Chicken. Its 8X8 feet, the coop is 3 1/2 by 4. Its a pretty small coop, I will probably expand it someday, esp. if I add a 4th chicken. I left it open in the front since I am in Texas but I will block the front off this winter. We have some pretty bitter winds here! They don't roost in there at night, they like there one in the run, but I'll bet they will when its 23 degrees and windy outside! The ladies and I love it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully I did the pics correctly! We have a RIR, Production red, and an Ameracauna. Donna, Rose and Dolly.

2. speedymom

Mar 18, 2010
    PS I did the bamboo so my dog couldn't see and terrorize the chickens. It actually works great, he can see them but they can't see him as well.

3. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    LOVE the Funky Chicken Coop! It's really cool looking! Good job! [​IMG]

4. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    LOVE it. And I'm not sure if you meant to but I love the chicken Texas flag on the side [​IMG]

5. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:x2 That is Excellent!

It's the Lone (Red/Gold/Black) Star State.

6. speedymom

Mar 18, 2010
    Quote:Oh yeah, sorry, I wanted a texas flag but also wanted to incorporate a chicken somehow, and thats what I came up with.[​IMG] I guess its the lonestar funky chicken!

7. barbarachick

barbarachick Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    New Port Richey Florida
    very very cool!! may have to use the 'flag' idea, being from the Lone Star state originally-- my guys are 'austin' and his girls, bobby jo, peggie sue and sabrina!!! congrats on your great setup!!!! :<)

8. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I like the American color theme too

9. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Your coop looks GREAT!! GOOD JOB!!
    I like that you put the outside access to the nests via side doors rather than overhead doors.
    I think, iffen I ever build another coop I will use that feature rather than the overhead one I use now. [​IMG]

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:x2 That is Excellent!

It's the Lone (Red/Gold/Black) Star State.

Another vote for the chicken Texas flag here! Great idea with the bamboo fence, too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by