funky chicken sitting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jenny1, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Jenny1

Jenny1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    So, my hens often sit ... well... like they are ready to watch tv. They flop over on one side and lounge. They look a bit like they are hot and just laying in the shade to get cool.
    Is this normal? Also, they dont like to roost at night. They like to sit on the sand in the coop. I try putting them on the roost. But they really seem to like to sit on the sand. Is this normal? Or do I have weird chickes.
    also, they are STILL not laying. Dont know if that is relevant.

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Yes, laying on their side in the sun soaking up the rays and panting, is called sunbathing. They will also lay in the dirt, flap their feathers and sometimes pant. This is called dustbathing. This is also completely normal.

My girls never laid on the roost when they were young too. I'm not sure the reason for it. But I wouldn't be too concerned. My girls always laid in a big pile below the roost. Silly birds. Eventually they perched on the roost at night time, and it has been the same since. Maybe you could move them onto the roost at night? That may help teach them.

How old are your chickens? And what breeds? I'm sure eggs will come soon. [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC, by the way!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by