Funky chicken

rainee63

Songster
Mar 12, 2017
North Alabama
I finally found an LO rooster, and he came with a friend. A friend who has really fat legs and strange wings. Now I'm hearing of recessent genes in lavender orpingtons? Any advice? I don't wanna breed him. But he's not really showing any signs of wanting to breed yet. What can be done about recessent genes? Anything? Or do they just happen?

Well, Lavender in and of itself IS a recessive gene regardless of which breed it is in...

That doesn't make it bad... it all depends on your goals.

The type of "recessive" gene you don't want would be... like your parent stock all has the correct amount of toes but someone keeps throwing chicks with an extra toe or a one less... then you would do test matings to determine who had the HIDDEN genetic fault and eliminate it from your breeding stock.

If your boy ain't old enough to be trying to breed yet... then he isn't yet a "rooster". The term rooster and hen really become valid after one year old. Before that they are technically cockerel or pullet. It doesn't matter much in everyday conversation, but it will be VERY relevant in discussions about behavior. ;)

The term recessive might be throwing you off a bit. Most traits are either dominant or recessive to another... OK maybe that's to simplified (and a little inaccurate)... genetics is a wide and wonderfully fascinating world that I never cared one bit about until chickens got me excited! :pop

I get that he's not a rooster yet. And my girls won't be hens til next spring. I have been looking for a lavender orpington male for a while now, and I've just been surprised by what I've seen. I don't want to pass his problems down to the next generation. I guess rehoming would be best. And studying up on chicken genetics!

I get that he's not a rooster yet. And my girls won't be hens til next spring. I have been looking for a lavender orpington male for a while now, and I've just been surprised by what I've seen. I don't want to pass his problems down to the next generation. I guess rehoming would be best. And studying up on chicken genetics!
What problems are you noticing?

No shame in letting him feed someone else... if he has undesirable traits that will be passed on. Most people like myself who desire to feed their family will do it as quickly and humanely as possible.

There are LOT'S of Lav Orps around and some should be decent. They are a fairly popular breed/color right now. So I would indeed hold out for better if you have concerns.

Breeding chickens has been very challenging and a lot of fun. Good for you... for not just breeding forward crud! :thumbsup

His legs are really thick, and seem to be turned out a little. And his big flight feathers stick out like there's nothing underneath to support them.
I definitely don't want to pass that on.

Attachments

• DSC_0588.JPG
    DSC_0588.JPG
    592.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0592.JPG
    DSC_0592.JPG
    670.5 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom