Funky duck beak

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by buggal, Nov 20, 2016.

1. buggal

buggal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2016
    Aubrey, TX
    I have a male duck (not sure of breed) but we were given him as a baby because he had a messed up beak. We have had him since he was about 4 weeks old and he is now about 5 months old. We were told that a turkey had pecked it when he was a duckling and it grew funny ever since. We are not sure what to do with it, over the last week where the beak attaches to his face has really turned red. We are noticing that it is getting harder for him to pick up food off the ground so we have put a tub of food in with him so he can shovel it up. We have also added a nipple watering system in addition to his kiddie pool that he enjoys a lot! He has 2 girlfriend and we are hoping to keep it that way. If anyone has any words of advice on how to care for it or even how to get it to grow correctly would be great. A vet is not an option where I live. Here are some pics so you can see what we are talking about.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for your help

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Try providing moistened feed in a deep dish. This may make it easier for him to eat.

3. luvmyduckies

luvmyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2016
    Upper Sandusky OHIO
    Poor little guy. I see that this is from August I hope he is still doing well.

J

4. buggal

buggal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2016
    Aubrey, TX
    I have read for chickens you need to file there beak every once in an while since they cant do it themselves. Is this true with ducks?

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Duck bills are far more fleshy, and filing his bill would only cause it to bleed.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  6. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Yeah ,noooo, please dont do that
    I dont think you will be able to regrow that. All I can think of is like when a dentist repairs a chipped tooth, you know, make a new upper bill and glue it on or something
    X2

7. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Eeek!! I would agree with Sour, moistened feed would be great [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by