Funky egg! With yoke next to it!! Why!??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jlovepj1027, Mar 29, 2016.

1. jlovepj1027

jlovepj1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2016
    SoCal
    [​IMG]
    This is now my third funky egg! All in one week, but all have been different. No signs of sickness, no worms or parasites, feed & water cleaned daily. They are all new egg layers and my
    Legbar who does lay, I haven't seen an egg from in five days! The first this week was just a soft shell inside of a hard shell with no yolk. The second was a soft jelly egg shell and I don't know what to make of this!? Or what to do!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  2. newwestchick

newwestchick Chillin' With My Peeps

New layers do that a lot. Their system is trying to figure out how to make eggs and sometimes throws out a weird one :)
    Just make sure they are on layer feed and have lots of oyster shell available free choice and give it time - within a few months they should have everything sorted out.

3. jlovepj1027

jlovepj1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2016
    SoCal
    Ok.. So I can expect these here and there? I know one seems to even lay 2 to 3 in 24 hours and my Olive Egger Legbar has laid for 10 days straight! It's just crazy! Thank you!

4. newwestchick

newwestchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes don't worry about it they're fine :) Just keep the calcium available to them

5. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

One small suggestion: If they start laying golden ones, you might want to keep that a secret...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by