Funky Egg Yolk

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KatieLoo, Mar 11, 2016.

1. KatieLoo

KatieLoo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2016
    Okay y'all..
    I just got a new lady. Miss Maggie Is her name. She's a 11 month old Pekin.
    When I went to pick her up they had been keeping her in a small outside dog kennel and her food and water bowl was extremely filthy. (I know, I know, they get dirty quick) but this was just ridiculous like it hadn't been cleaned out in forever. Anyways... She has been laying me eggs *yay good girl* but they are a very pale yellow and they smell kinda fishy. I'm hoping it was just because of what they was feeding her? She is a very lively bird and I don't indicate any illness but her egg yolk being that pale makes me think she was just caged her entire life and she wasn't able to get the good stuff out in the ground to help make her eggs a more darker orange? What do you think? I let all my ducks free range all day everyday so this is a new one to me. Maybe I'm just a crazy duck lady who is over cautious lol
    Any imput is good for me! Thanks Y'all! [​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    No, I think you've nailed it.

With better nutrition and some running around, I expect things will straighten out. The fishy smell is probably from the feed, however to be safe, I would take a fecal sample to the vet to check for parasites.

You may not have quarantined her . . . I kept my new rescues separate till we were sure there was no concern with parasites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by