1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Funky eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pdxchickgirl111, Feb 14, 2013.

1. pdxchickgirl111

pdxchickgirl111 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2011
    Our pullets started laying about 2 or 3 weeks ago. So far the eggs have been normal, but one of them (we think it's our New Hampshire Red) has been laying funny shaped ones, small (slightly bigger than a ping pong ball), not smooth (kind of thick looking in some places), and flat on one side. They all look like a meteor hit them on one side. We've had about 5 of those from her now, and today we found a soft shell one out in the open area of the coop, not in the laying area.

I know this is not uncommon in new laying hens, but how long does it usually take for the egg laying machine to sort itself out? When should I be worried?

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Six to eight weeks for the oddities to sort themselves out. They can still lay an odd one at any time though. It will take a few months for them to produce the full size egg they are capable of. So give the one laying the odd eggs a little while longer to sort it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by