1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Funky Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 5crazyhens, Nov 6, 2013.

1. 5crazyhens

5crazyhens New Egg

Nov 6, 2013
    I am new at raising chickens, and one of my hens just started laying last week. We like to boil the eggs and eat them for breakfast. I boiled her firs egg like the others, and it had a strange texture. It was like it dissolved and was really mushy. I couldn't even eat it. The other eggs turned out fine so it wasn't under cooked. The 2nd and 3rd egg were okay, the we had another funky one. Is this because she is a new layer, or is she lacking some vitamin. She is a buff Orpington about 5 months old.

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Most likely it is because she is a new layer. If she is eating layer feed then she will have everything she needs to produce good eggs (except Silkies). It takes them about a month (sometimes 2 for slow learners) to figure out the entire laying process. When mine first started laying I would find tough ones with no yolk, 3 yolk ones, and funny shaped eggs. Congrats on the new eggs!

3. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by