"Funky" Eye on Golden Comet pullet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 8hipchicks, Sep 1, 2009.

1. 8hipchicks

8hipchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2009
    Hi,

DD has acquired a Golden Comet pullet from a local chicken farmer. We are not familiar with this breed. He checked her for mites, etc. and said she was clean. She is approximately 4-5 months old. One of her eyes seems a little "funky". I put a pic of her eye here: http://8hipchicks.blogspot.com/2009/01/golden-comet.html

Any
    insights would be appreciated.

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    It appears to be a bit swollen/irritated. She may have gotten poked on something - a piece of fencing or something? Is it red, or just swollen?

3. 8hipchicks

8hipchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2009
    It seems to just be swollen. Not red or irritated. DD thinks it looks like her eyelid - but a very pronounced eyelid. Again, we're not familiar with the breed.

We're just hoping it doesn't look like something scarey.

she seems fine in every other respect.

Any further insight is appreciated.

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I guess if it's not irritated, maybe just watch it closely? I'm one that doens't like to overdo medicating...I take more of a watch & see attitude, but others may say you should get some Terramycin antibiotic ointment.

Now, you indicate she's 4-5 months old - is there any possibility she could be older? Reason I ask is that I've had some go through molts where their eyelids become swollen due to the feather shedding irritating the lids...but if she's definitely only 4-5 months, she's much too young for a hard molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by