Funky feathering?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by momma chickie, May 31, 2016.

1. momma chickie

momma chickie Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This 2 1/2 mon old buckeye. She was very slow to feather, cane in all random, and currently just had stubs for tail feathers...anyone else seen this...will she ever look like a normal chicken?

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Come to think of it, my Shannon also feathered in uniquely. [​IMG] To this day, her tail looks different from every other chicken breed I've ever had. But since your girl is so young, I'm pretty sure she'll look more normal once she is fully grown. [​IMG]

~Alex

3. momma chickie

May 6, 2016
    Well funky feathering and delayed growth has now led to first 2 eggs laid being rubbery. All the others have nice hard shells, they all free range, get organic food, yogurt and oats to suppliment, oyster shell and grit. Is she destined to be our special needs chicken or will she eventually lay normal shelled eggs?

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Soft shelled or shell less eggs are pretty common for new layers. She just needs a bit more time for all the parts of her egg laying system to start working together consistently.

5. momma chickie

May 6, 2016
    I hope...been worried this will lead to egg eating since they break open easy...I caught them trying to eat the first one, no telling if they got to the second one or a rodent helped...thank you for the encouragement

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Soft shelled and shell less eggs are fair game and do not lead to egg eating.

7. momma chickie

May 6, 2016
    I thought it would since I had chickens when younger that accidently broke an egg, ate it, then started pecking there own eggs...if they get a taste I thought they would.

8. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Deliberate egg eating is usually caused by not enough protein in the overall diet. That is what drives most to 'develop a taste for it'. They discover by accident that eggs have what their body is lacking. If the lack of protein isn't addressed promptly, it can become a habit. It is a matter of instinct for a flock to clean up broken or shell less eggs, otherwise, they will rot and foul up the nest boxes. As long as they have plenty of protein in their daily diet, they will not deliberately seek out eggs to eat.

9. momma chickie

May 6, 2016
    They get plenty of protein...I hope that works

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It usually doesn't lead to egg eating.....but it is best to get the soft or thinshelled eggs out of there asap.
    If you do see some pecked holes in good hard shelled egg,
    putting some ceramic or hard plastic fake eggs and removing the real eggs can help deter a budding egg eater that may be spawned by mere curiosity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by