1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Funky hen!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peeps7, Sep 20, 2007.

1. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I have one hen that is determined to pull my rooster and my barred rocks butt feathers out, why is she doing this? It seems she only goes after those two, my barred rock is looking pretty pitiful in the back because of her.

2. HallChicks

HallChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2007
    My hens just started pulling out our roosters neck feathers!! It looks terrible- red, raw and painful! I posted a thread and got the reply that it might be a lack of protien.... I have them all on layer ration. Maybe it can also be a behavioral thing- someone said they have tried different feeds, but their chickens still target the rooster! I wish I knew more about it. If I find out anything more I will let you know [​IMG]

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:I have 1 hen out of 13 that pulls the neck feathers on one of my roosters.
    It's definately not lack of protien, and she doesn't eat the feathers. My roo just stands there and lets her do it.

My poor rooster was already molting, now he looks like he was in a train wreck!

4. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    So how do I stop that?

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Blue kote should work... I should get some of that too. My roo takes it like a rooster when his hens pick out his feathers!!!

6. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    Huh?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by