Funky knee feathers? What do we call this?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 6chickens in St. Charles, Oct 15, 2011.

1. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Our pretty mixed cockerel (and two of his sisters) (11 weeks old, almost 3 months) is developing big, loooong feathers off his knees. His are the most pronounced, his sisters' curl around and bonk each other behind their legs. Is there a name for these feathers?
    [​IMG]

From really far away, it looks like he's dragging his wings on the ground, but up close it's obviously coming from his thighs. His wings are normal. He's a pretty good flyer.
    [​IMG]

Doesn't prevent him from doing anything:
    [​IMG]

I have to giggle a little when I see him, it reminds me of a "Pilgrims Play" I saw in the 1970's, where a kid dressed as "the indian" wore a cardboard canoe cutout strapped to his thighs, so it looked like he was paddling around in a canoe.

This guy looks a little bit like he's dressed in sickle blade feathers, almost like a samurai?

Thank you to whomever can tell me what this is!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  2. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    Vulture hocks.

3. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    6chickens in St. Charles :

Our pretty mixed cockerel (and two of his sisters) (11 weeks old, almost 3 months) is developing big, loooong feathers off his knees. His are the most pronounced, his sisters' curl around and bonk each other behind their legs. Is there a name for these feathers?
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/25976_chick_pretty_eddie_funny_knee_feathers.jpg

From really far away, it looks like he's dragging his wings on the ground, but up close it's obviously coming from his thighs. His wings are normal. He's a pretty good flyer.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/25976_chick_funny_kneefeathers.jpg

Doesn't prevent him from doing anything:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/25976_chick_funnykneefeathers_another_view.jpg

I have to giggle a little when I see him, it reminds me of a "Pilgrims Play" I saw in the 1970's, where a kid dressed as "the indian" wore a cardboard canoe cutout strapped to his thighs, so it looked like he was paddling around in a canoe.

This guy looks a little bit like he's dressed in sickle blade feathers, almost like a samurai?

Thank you to whomever can tell me what this is!

that what u call valture haulks​

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

vulture hocks. D'Uccles have them, for one.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Vulture hocks. Not wanted on Cochins, but if they're just pets it's perfectly fine, just extra long and stiff feathers. [​IMG]

6. 6chickens in St. Charles

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Vulture Hocks?

[​IMG] those dang vultures are aaaaallllwayyyys hanging around, circling my husband everytime he's out. I gues that's not ALL they've been up to............

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    they are pretty birds

8. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Medieval England, Iowa
    hi mom [​IMG]

9. 6chickens in St. Charles