1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Funky looking Eye...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by upmycreek, Aug 15, 2011.

1. upmycreek

upmycreek Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Hello all, This may not be weird, but I wanted to post pictures to get confirmation. I bought a silkie hen which is not yet of laying age. Not certain on her exact age. She has one has a very strange looking eye. It's kind of white on the inside. She also has 7 toes on one foot. She is strictly pets, but I want to make sure that it isn't an illness rather than just a deformation. She eats normal and acts normal. Although she does make a honking noise a lot for no apparent reason. Anyway, here are some pictures of Aunt Jemimah... thank you for all comments.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I hope you have her in isolation. There are some respiratory illnesses that show up as eye problems at first.

3. upmycreek

upmycreek Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    I have had her around all my other chickens for about a 2 months. No one has come down with any illness or anything since she has been with me. I have her with my other 7 hens. They all seem fine. It looks like it is the way her eye is colored. I am going to try and get better pictures for you all to take a look at. I was just wondering if this was normal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Featherland26

Featherland26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    England
    Her eye looks fine to me, It looks clear,shiny and bright, I think some chickens just have eyes like that. Other symtoms i am not sure about

5. Papa Rooster

Papa Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2010
    I dont know. i have a marane that has a eye kind of like that all dark and stuff and is fine. but i had a chicken who was born with a dark eye and as it got older it went blind in that eye(about 1 year)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by