Funky poop *WARNING GRAFIC PICS*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by heatherlaw, Nov 15, 2015.

1. heatherlaw

heatherlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2015
    Roseville, California
    I've been finding this poop for a week now. Just one or two at first but these were all from this morning. The red seems like intestinal lining not blood, as its stringy not bloody. I started treating for worms. Is it worms or something else? Coci maybe?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ClaireDL

ClaireDL Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2015
    Southern Pines NC
    Yep, could really be coccidia,,,,Got it even on one of my adult hen this year. I had to treat several times...Best, would be to do a fecal test, if you've got a vet that does it.

1 person likes this.
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    In my flock these poops are never normal. Best to have a fecal done, but if you can't do that, you might want to think about de-worming with Valbazen or Safeguard and treating for coccidiosis with Corid.

-Kathy

4. heatherlaw

Aug 3, 2015
    Roseville, California
    Unfortunately I don't have a vet who will do a test for me. I'll continue treating for worms and treat for coccidiosis. What is the dosage for corid? My local store only carries the powder

5. ClaireDL

ClaireDL Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2015
    Southern Pines NC
    don't forget to had prebiotic also..it competes against the worms

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

20% powder dose is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/3 teaspoon per gallon for 7 days. Okay to give Safeguard and Corid at the same time. Safeguard dose I use is 0.23ml per pound for five days.

-Kathy

7. heatherlaw

Aug 3, 2015
    Roseville, California
    Thanks so much for all your help! I will start dosing tomorrow. Hopefully it's early and they won't show any more symptoms. So far it's just the poop. They act like nothing's wrong

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by