Funky spots on Egg's???? Take a look...

KYBOY

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 8, 2008
Eastern,Kentucky
These blotches starting showing up on some of my eggs recently..they came from a house filled with RIR's, BR's and B.O's..Never saw this befor..They will NOT wash off for nothing..They seem to be part of the shell pigment
hmm.png
Any ideas, seen this befor???
Picture231.jpg

Yes, one of my rirs lays speckled eggs too. They are nothing to worry about. In our case the yolk has some of the spots as well.

They're speckled eggs. One of our girls lays speckled eggs and they taste just like the others and have no changes to the yolk.

Be careful washing your eggs though, as you can break the protective membrane that keeps bacteria out by scrubbing too hard.

My Buff Brahma also lays some speckled eggs but not as darkly pigmented as yours. I have eaten them and not felt ill or anything so this is not a technical answer but I hink you are safe. Are you worried because you sell the eggs? If so, can you save the speckly ones for your own consumption and sell all the others?

We have some Welsummers that lay speckled eggs and most of our customers love the pretty speckles. Speckled or not on the outside, they all look and taste the same on the inside.

Thanks
big_smile.png
I too have some RIR's in the house that may be laying these..The feed has not changed or anything like that.The yolks look fine and they taste fine..I was really just curious..All comments are appreciated
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom