Funky spots on Egg's???? Take a look...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KYBOY, Jan 11, 2009.

1. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    These blotches starting showing up on some of my eggs recently..they came from a house filled with RIR's, BR's and B.O's..Never saw this befor..They will NOT wash off for nothing..They seem to be part of the shell pigment [​IMG] Any ideas, seen this befor???
    [​IMG]

2. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Yes, one of my rirs lays speckled eggs too. They are nothing to worry about. In our case the yolk has some of the spots as well.

3. jemagsy

jemagsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Georgia
    They're speckled eggs. One of our girls lays speckled eggs and they taste just like the others and have no changes to the yolk.

Be careful washing your eggs though, as you can break the protective membrane that keeps bacteria out by scrubbing too hard.

4. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    My Buff Brahma also lays some speckled eggs but not as darkly pigmented as yours. I have eaten them and not felt ill or anything so this is not a technical answer but I hink you are safe. Are you worried because you sell the eggs? If so, can you save the speckly ones for your own consumption and sell all the others?

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Are these eggs being layed in the nest boxes?

Has your feed changed?

Is there overcrowding?

6. henjoy

henjoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    We have some Welsummers that lay speckled eggs and most of our customers love the pretty speckles. Speckled or not on the outside, they all look and taste the same on the inside.

7. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I get these too, it's no biggie.

8. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    Thanks [​IMG] I too have some RIR's in the house that may be laying these..The feed has not changed or anything like that.The yolks look fine and they taste fine..I was really just curious..All comments are appreciated [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by